buildin' me a tracker

Pre.. Have a good Thanksgiving. I am having regular brainfarts of late. You sent a link for the outfit where you got your new motormount bolts. I somehow lost it. Please resend. Thanks. Hope the next bug to bite will involve a motorcycle. I am now hooked on the Cafe Racer TV show.

Pre.. More questions. I recall you may have had some difficulty with the installation of the half mile exhaust. I read on another 650 board that it interfears(sp) with the starter housing. I believe you had the exhaust mounted while you still had the electric leg. If so, was there a problem in that area? Also did you use those inserts"optimizers" that Robert sells? What I read is that they are necessary for a decent mid-range with the larger diameter pipes. Like it or not, you are still wise man on the mountain when it comes to trackers.

I didnt put optimizers in my half mile pipes and it runs fine and pulls like a freight train. Theres plenty more tracker guys out there to ask questions to also.

Pre.. More questions. I recall you may have had some difficulty with the installation of the half mile exhaust. I read on another 650 board that it interfears(sp) with the starter housing. I believe you had the exhaust mounted while you still had the electric leg. If so, was there a problem in that area? Also did you use those inserts"optimizers" that Robert sells? What I read is that they are necessary for a decent mid-range with the larger diameter pipes. Like it or not, you are still wise man on the mountain when it comes to trackers.

Yeah the brackets didn't seem to be in the optimum position, but with some bending and tweaking they worked out. Don't remember any problem with the starter. I used the optimizers but have no comparison to running without so I can't help you there.

RR.. You are absolutely right. Your build and the thread got me going the right way on tires. The photos are great. As a result I got to talking with Chris Carr. AA Racing where Pre got his skins don't have the Maxxis tires anymore. The information on this site from all you guys is valuable beyond belief.Thanks again.

Beemerboy, the 1/2 mile pipes have no issues with the electric start. Pre had shorter muff's than me but other wise the same. Look at my pic. You can see the mount near the mid pipe, that attachs to the frame/nut. I had to add a piece of steel strap to get both pipes supported. Still needs to be better IMHO. One thing I don't like is the rear support for the mufflers themselves. Not much to it, unless you fab something yourself.
muff2.jpg

RacerDave. ..Thanks for the photo. It helps. The instructions from Omars said to not cut off the right side centerstand support. From yours and Pre's photos it doesn't seem to play any part in supporting the halfmile pipes. Am I blind, stupid, or a combination of both? It seems odd that with all the pipes Robert sells, that the set -up requires substantial tweaking.

If you're spending the time to make a premade part fit, why not build you own set? Then you can make them 1.50" so you don't have to deal with the flow issues of the 1.75", get better general street performance and fit them the way you like. Run a couple of 1.50" reverse cone megas on the end and you're set.

Racer Dave. I used to be an Assistant State's Attorney in DuPage many years ago. Please don't hold that against me. How about some more photos of your bike. Are those pipes ceramic coated?

Beemerboy, I left that center stand mount tab on my frame. It doesn't even come close to Omar's muffler braket. You can see it circled in red. It has a hole drilled in it.

At the very least you need to bend sort of a Z bracket to go from it to Omars pipe bracket. See my photobucket pics, page 5 and 6 for more pics. http://s234.photobucket.com/user/kawidave1/library/My Yammie Tracker?sort=3&page=1

Pre I apologize for posting pics in your thread.

Racer Dave. I used to be an Assistant State's Attorney in DuPage many years ago. Please don't hold that against me. How about some more photos of your bike. Are those pipes ceramic coated?

Hey we all have to pay the bills. I worked on Joliet Police vehicles and local MANS cars, among other agencies for 33+ years, Retired from that last January. I seen plenty! Sent you a PM

Last edited:
Coneeng,, You are a lot more fabricator than I will ever hope to be. Neither facilities or know-how permit making my own pipes

I agree with coneeg to a point, but also have to say some of us don't have the ability to weld or access to a welder to weld pipes to make our own.

If you start making them from mild steel you can use 3-4 u-bends, cut them with a band saw, sawzall, or even a hack saw. The you can use some plain hose clamps to hold it all together while you finish mocking it up. Once done then you can beg a friend, or pay an acquaintance, to weld it together.

Sorry about this question on this thread, but I really need to know. Can a cam/valve cover from a 1980 motor be used on a 1978 head? Its a long story resulting in a dumb question.

If you start making them from mild steel you can use 3-4 u-bends, cut them with a band saw, sawzall, or even a hack saw. The you can use some plain hose clamps to hold it all together while you finish mocking it up. Once done then you can beg a friend, or pay an acquaintance, to weld it together.

Amazing, hose clamp. That's perfect. Seriously.

I'd guess you make some witness marks to get the axial orientation correct. Then you can remove the hose clamped assembly to your welding supplier. Is there an easier / better way?

Seriously, awesome.

Hi kbtoy here 79 xs, i am new to the site.You have a great looking bike Question where and how are you going to mount your front turn signals? Keep up the good work.Thanks kbtoy

Back