buildin' me a tracker

Pregrid, I will buy that off you PM me and I will send you my address and you can tell me how much you want all in including postage to the UK. When it comes to computers I am a proper Luddite.

Leslie

Last edited:
>Seat mounting: again the seat (as well as the tank) came from Omar's.
>It comes with rubber mounted "captured nuts".

Just in case it's helpful, some vendors call them "well nuts," and you can get them at Ace or other hardware stores, as well as online:
http://www.amazon.com/NEOPlex-Pack-Signicade-Plasticade-Frame/dp/B001N12FUS

They are a bit limited, strength-wise. I used one to hold the seat/tail unit on my flat track bike to the frame loop and it pulled free.

Beautiful work, pregrid. Thanks very much for posting so many photos. My tracker is a rat; yours makes me want to take it all apart and do it right.

John
Cazadero, CA

John sorry if I come across as patronising but im not , but do you have the metal equivelant of the capture nuts in the US, We use these at my place of work and we use them to fit inspections doors 3mm plate so should be ok to use in the top section of the XS frame as on Pregrids photo.

NUTSERTTOOL001.jpg
[/IMG]

NUTSERTTOOL011.jpg
[/IMG]

NUTSERTTOOL010.jpg
[/IMG]

NUTSERTTOOL007.jpg
[/IMG]

NUTSERTTOOL004.jpg
[/IMG]

These nutsert are a metric thread and are up to 8mm, simple to fit I have used on to secure a steering damper bracket to the frame of a old gixxer

Leslie

Last edited:
Pre, this is crude, but maybe you could measure your stand and use the numbers I put to the ? marks for the answers?

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 246
We have nutserts over here, or is that "across the pond" ? I've used them a few times at work.

Dave,
Sorry mucker but I had to ask, they are pretty strong when fitted if a ever get around to it I will get our RD department do do a pull test on a 8mm nutsert fitted into 3mm mild steel plate. nice to know peace of mind if you ride your bike like you stole it:laugh::laugh:

Leslie

Nothing to be sorry about! Mucker? Is that good or bad,dude? The thing I don't like about nutserts is they can come loose from thin metal easily. and they have no flange on the outside. Also the rubber wellnut will give a little vibration cushion to the fiberglass seat/cowl

Talking to Robert at Omar's and he's used the wellnuts for some time, even on racebikes, and has not had a failure.

Pre, I also want to thank you for this thread and all the pics. I'll be reffering to it often on my tracker project!

Wow, and you're welcome. I originally started this as a way of introducing myself to the board, and it's apparently serving a coupla more functions as well. Didn't expect that. Hopefully it will give some tips and answers to anyone down the road who is doing a similar project whether it's a tracker, cafe, or restoration. I couldn't be where I'm at without this site and am glad to give something back (as well as showin' off a little:D)

Dave,
Mucker is a Northern Enlish saying meaning good friend mate pal ,,,nothing bad sorry about that but for such a small Island the UK has several hard to understand dialects.

Leslie

Wow, and you're welcome. I originally started this as a way of introducing myself to the board, and it's apparently serving a coupla more functions as well. Didn't expect that. Hopefully it will give some tips and answers to anyone down the road who is doing a similar project whether it's a tracker, cafe, or restoration. I couldn't be where I'm at without this site and am glad to give something back (as well as showin' off a little:D)

Pregrid,
me too thanks your photos have explained a lot and given me several idea's.

So thanks mucker and dont stop posting your project as it progresses.

Cheers Leslie Saint

Nothing to be sorry about! Mucker? Is that good or bad,dude? The thing I don't like about nutserts is they can come loose from thin metal easily. and they have no flange on the outside. Also the rubber wellnut will give a little vibration cushion to the fiberglass seat/cowl

Dave,
We fitted a few hundred to some 0.7mm 316 sheet stainless steel fabricated components and we had the same problem, we put a washer on the blind side of the steel sheet and that did the trick.

Leslie Saint

Last edited:
Pregrid,
me too thanks your photos have explained a lot and given me several idea's.

So thanks mucker and dont stop posting your project as it progresses.

Cheers Leslie Saint

Hah! I'm a mucker! pretty sure I never expected to attain anything that special in my lifetime.:D

added brackets for a new battery box. the new box will not be cardboard:D
progress006.jpg

Pregrid,
The lugs you have welded to your frame as per the above photo are for a battery box, are you fabricating a bao or is a item you have purchasedox
If you have not chucked the cardboard template then would you put it in with the stand when you send the package over to the UK across the pond:wink2:

Leslie Saint

Pregrid,
The lugs you have welded to your frame as per the above photo are for a battery box, are you fabricating a bao or is a item you have purchasedox
If you have not chucked the cardboard template then would you put it in with the stand when you send the package over to the UK across the pond:wink2:

Leslie Saint

The battery box came from Omar's, unfortunately they're real hard to come by right now. Right now a friend of mine has it modding it to suit my needs. Template is gone I'm pretty sure but I'll look for it and send it if I still have it. but as you can see it's real easy to make.
when I get the box back I'll take some pics and measurements if you like.

The battery box came from Omar's, unfortunately they're real hard to come by right now. Right now a friend of mine has it modding it to suit my needs. Template is gone I'm pretty sure but I'll look for it and send it if I still have it. but as you can see it's real easy to make.
when I get the box back I'll take some pics and measurements if you like.

Pregrid,
Thanks for that,, its not really that important as I can fabricate my own battery box from sheet Ali and the photo of the existing brackets

I will await the picture of yours once you have it and some basic dimensions of the box......:laugh: I hope you don't stop posting on this forum or me and a few others will be up the creek without a paddle.

Leslie

No worries there, mate, I'm a pic whore. Finally got my saddle. braided stainless is being ordered for the brake lines and will be made and installed in a coupla weeks.

misctrackerpics.jpg

Back