Building a garage/workshop. What would YOU do?

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi there fellows.

It´s been a while since I where active at the forum since me and my gal just bought ourselfs a new house. Very exiting!

Now there´s this old garage/storage that is in pretty good shape but I´m about to renovate it, so we can use it as a garage/workshop.
It mesures about 15x50 ft and roof height will become about 8,5ft.
Since I live i Sweden I´ll isolate it and get a good heating system.

So far I´m tearing inner walls and inner roof down and having my head full of ideas how to building a "new inside". Doing the "heavy-duty" work, if you like.

I´m working as a carpenter for the 8 last years so I know stuff when it comes to a hammer and nails:laugh:......but I would like to hear your ideas. What do you think are necessary to make it become a good workshop? I mean the smaller details, like lights, ventilation, air, water, weldding area, semi-stationary painting area.......and such.

Thanks for your ideas and inspiration:thumbsup:
/BigBoreSwede

--BTW-- pics will come later.

An ventilator hood over a welding area would be good. Lots of lighting so any extra windows would be good. Im partial to wood heat myself but a backup propane heater is good too.

In my "shop"....read "FREAKING SMALL 1 bay garage...i have a nice raised table for the bike with walking/working room around all sides. This was a must for me since my last build was done completely on the living room floor. Back aches galore.

Like someone posted previously. Do NOT skimp on a nice work bench. Make it plenty large with lots of storage. If I could do it in my situation I would make a large welding table with a good thick heavy plate top as my work bench.....maybe someday.

Don't forget plenty of places to set your bits and pieces of the bike while you are working on other things. Preferably covered so they don't get covered in gridning dust, fiberglass dust, etc. I've there and doing that and it sucks.

Even better put a motion sensor above the door leading to the garage so you KNOW she's coming without even seeing her ;-)

Check out this site. I've cruised around there for a couple years and the folks there are really friendly and there are some AMAZING shops and garages. Its great for ideas too. garagejournal.com

Last edited:
A way to separate the bikes you're working on from those you're riding-- nothing worse than grinding dust and sparks landing on your bike.
Yeah, what he said. if you have more than one bike, keep the runners in a totally different 'barn'. soon I plan to biuld a 10x15ft barn with one outlet for trickle charger, and one light ficture. I will have two dows, one at each end so I dont have to back out.:bike:

Yeah, what he said. if you have more than one bike, keep the runners in a totally different 'barn'. soon I plan to biuld a 10x15ft barn with one outlet for trickle charger, and one light ficture. I will have two dows, one at each end so I dont have to back out.:bike:

I was thinking just the other day that I'd like to have a turn table to park my bike on so I could spin it to face the door.

Oh I forgot, plenty of shelving and cupboard space to hide stuff, a can of dust to sprinkle around to take that "new" look away.

The other day she walked in (unnoticed..)and asked about the new bench grinder I was using "Is that new she asked"..."no had it for ages" I responded as quick as a flash..
"ages" being two days
she who must be obeyed was happy..so was I

The other day she walked in (unnoticed..)and asked about the new bench grinder I was using "Is that new she asked"..."no had it for ages" I responded as quick as a flash..
"ages" being two days
she who must be obeyed was happy..so was I

She knows you are lireing and knows you won't notice the new dress :laugh:

All of the above... bright walls/ceiling, good lighting, lots of shelving/storage, ventilation, heating and cooling, power everywhere (220 where you need it), air lines with drops everywhere (I'd go copper), good long work bench with vise for assembly (probably wooden), welding/fixture table with vise for all the metal work.

Then of course a big air compressor in the corner plumbed to the hard lines, a good welder, a bike lift, big tool boxes, a beer fridge next to the compressor (run the copper air lines through the fridge in a maze as an air dryer).

Ideally you have a work bench/work area just for clean work like forks and carburetors, another place for welding and grinding, another place for general work and assembly, and a place for paint. I don't think 15x50 is going to be big enough for all of that so certain areas will have to be multipurpose (like plastic sheets for walls in the main area when you're painting).

I love stuff like this. Can't wait to see pictures and see what you do with the space. Be sure to take the "before" pictures before you do anything at all.

:bike:

20 amp curcuits and at least one 220V outlet for the welder. Oh wait, whats the normal outlet voltage in Sweden? Either way, LOTS of outlets, floor and waist/table high. Flush ceiling lights. Dedicated shop radio/sound system. Fridge with soft drinks.

Back