Building a XS Roadster - Pics

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
What began as a perfectly good '83 Heritage $500.00 barn find. Cleaned carbs and fired right up ran clean and sounded strong. I've had 5 other XS650 over the years all basically stock. I thought I would modify this one as a tribute to the new Triumph Thunderbird. Modified the frame to accept a Harley sportser seat, got the streched chrome headlight and decided I'm not a Cruiser kind of guy. So I'm going Roadster. Here's a few preliminary pics with the XS750/850 standard tank and seat. Not to great a task to install. I've assebled all the parts so the process should be complete in a few weeks.. Getting this far has been with some gret advice and help from this Forum (XSjohn, INXS, Travis and others thanks).
In the barn
096.jpg

Roadster mock up - all mounted and secure
Roadster1.jpg

Roadster2.jpg

Lots of great plans 2-1 Header, SuperTrapp silencer (of course), 17' or 18" front wheel, cross drilled front disc. superbike Renthal bar, K&N filters, RS6 Rearsets - Hope I can make them work.

I'll keep you updated as I progress.

The rear fender is stock XS650, the fuel tank, seat and seat tailpiece is XS 750/850 Standard the front fender is fomo a Yamaha Seco Turbo.

I just love it. I could have bought a lot of late model used for what I have invested, but anybody can do that.

Here's the finished product. And more improvements to come.
IMG_1828.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Jim, Yamaha should have made some like that out of the box!!! And the rear sets look fantastic :thumbsup: Don't forget to drill out that rear rotor :wink2:

Could you show som pictures on how the seat and fender bolt up and maybe some instructions on doing the same conversion? I really don't like my bikes brakelight.

Back