burning oil

bkmarsha

Brad
Reaction score
so after not posting for a while im back with my questions and endless repairs of this bike...

i had noticed that i was low on oil so i filled up, then bike smoked, then may have ran close to or completely out of oil, refilled with oil, have re-torqued head bolts and checked cam tensioner, the bike still smokes and goes through quite a bit of oil

i am embarrassed to ride it and a couple of my buddies will no longer ride behind me until it gets fixed

i feel that i have ruled out blow by on the head gasket by checking the torque, and when i rebuilt the motor last fall i put in mew rings, new gaskets, new valve seals, honed cylinder, and had a valve job done

where could the oil be getting into the combustion chamber and how do i check/solve it

my three guesses would be head gasket, piston rings and valve seals but i really dont know how to check any of these without a engine pull and teardown

Last fall when you re-did the top end, did you do a proper re-torque..................i.e. torque head, next day re-torque again..............ride over 150 kms and retorque..................ride another 150 kms and retorque..................finally ride another 150 kms and retorque? Did you torque to 30 ft-lbs?

If that was not done, then you may have a break in the head gasket, causing the high oil loss.

Unknown to me the PO of my bike had not re-torqued the head studs. I had an oil loss as much as 1 liter in 333 kms.

If you did a good job on the rings and valve seals installation, then thay should be fine.................did you do a compression test after the last top end job?

I suspect you will have to open up the motor, and replace the head gasket at least.

easy . . just because a cylinder was honed and new rings used doesn't promise you that a good seal has been made. Cylinders wear in a taper and egg shaped. A hone will follow the shape, not correct it.

the cylinder and valves were done by a family friend that makes high performance race engines he said all measurement were within specs so i have faith that that part of the job was done correctly

i did not do the re torque procedure that gentleman recommended...i torqued rode for 40 miles(next day) re-torqued then did not do it again till this week, probably another 400 miles

original did torque at 25 but yesterday at 30

The correct procedure for diagnosis would be a cylinder leak down test, that will tell you if it is valves or not.

Regardless, it means the engine has to come out & the head pulled off. If the head gasket is blown (most likely scenario) you will be able to tell straight away.

Re fit new gasket with some sealer around the cam chain tunnel to prevent this happening again. Then re torque as Retiredgentleman suggested. You can leave the top engine mount off for a few days till you get no more movement on the head bolts. :cheers:

well lets hope you have good sealing. You need to do a compression test to see. Just as a note . . what I stated about honing is true, regardless of who operates the hone. If you engine was not worn to start with, thats good. But if the cylinders were worn, honing doesn't fix that.

Back