Bushings vs needle bearings

Purplezinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is there a difference in ride or handling between swing arms with bronze bushings and swing arms with needle bearings. It seems most folks use bronze but needle bearings are available. I'd like to hear everyone's input.

I think I remember Jayel saying he has the needle bearings. I have bronze. I'd like to know if there's a difference too.

I have no experience with either, but I faintly remember reading something about the needle bearings being able to rust out without proper care, so I'm personally sticking with the bronze bushings.

I put the needle bearing conversion on mine but it had plastic in it before so I've no comparison. Plus I tore down again almost immediately after!:banghead:

On a daily driver under most riding conditions the stock plastic, and the bronze with a bit of grease now and then will work fine. In a more performance oriented riding condition like racing or just pushing the limits on the road regularly the needle bearings may be better.
Raven, anything without proper maintainance will fail. The needle bearing kits are no different. Thats why the stock plastic fail, no maintainance.
Leo

Due to the restricted movment in the swingarm the needles don't get to revolve a complete circle, it is recomended to remove the needle berrings, turn them and reinstall. I have been told this should be done every year or flat spots can happen.

Back