Bushyboy's build thread

You know I might have a master link I never used. I don't remember why I never used it but I think I have one. I'll check later tonight. If I have it, it's yours if you want it.

You know I might have a master link I never used. I don't remember why I never used it but I think I have one. I'll check later tonight. If I have it, it's yours if you want it.
I have a stock size 219FT master link but it’s slightly larger than the 219FTH. If it is a FTH that would be awesome. I’m not really sure if the FTS(s) mikes sells will fit or not.

It is a glorious day! Look what arrived in the mail. And right after mikes Type of master link got shipped. At least I’ll be able to let you all know if they are the same.
5B10AA0E-3E36-48BD-AE52-7295CAF5B0C6.jpeg

Just curious what some of you with a shell #1 are using for your valve lash? I was using .006 intake 0.012 exhaust, but the valves sound a little loose. I tightened up the exhaust to 0.011 and that helped a little. Also I checked it at TDC and through out the bottom lobe if it was a misgrind . I have read HOOSRACING recommends .006 intake and 0.008 exhaust.

*Update Gary Hoos did contact me and it is confirmed he recommends .006 Intake .008 exhaust if you just on the street and not racing. I have my lash set at .006" intake and .009" on the exhaust.

Last edited:
The elephant foot adjusters do run quieter but go too big and they'll make noise too.

I'd also like to ask about that master link. It doesn't appear to be the rivet type but rather just the press-on plate type. Is that all you did? Press the plate on and call it good?

The elephant foot adjusters do run quieter but go too big and they'll make noise too.

I'd also like to ask about that master link. It doesn't appear to be the rivet type but rather just the press-on plate type. Is that all you did? Press the plate on and call it good?

I pressed on the master link and pinged the ends so it wouldn’t come off. I know the cam chain is breaking in so it did need more adjustment the first run then this time. After I re-adjusted the valves it sounds way better, but I may experiment with closing the exhaust gap. Other than that the bikes is running better than before the rebuild.

Ok I got her to quiet down just got the intake a little tighter on the .006” and the exhaust in between .011” almost .012”. The cam chain needed tightened a little bit more too. I’m going to stay with these valve setting for a while since I have the digital ignition I don’t want to advance it too much more.

Yes, a small amount can make a big difference in sound. On my '78, the stock spec for the intakes is .004". When I set them there, they ticked like crazy. So, I closed them up to .003", and that quieted them right down. Just that .001" change made a big difference. Now that I have the elephant foot adjusters, I was able to open them back up to .004" or .005" and they are quiet. But, much more than that and they'll start clattering. Same with the exhaust, I can go a few thou bigger now.

When I first installed the elephant foot adjusters, I had read that really large clearances, like 6 and 12, can give better performance and more power, so I tried it. Honestly, I couldn't discern any difference in power or performance, they just made more noise, lol. So, I stick close to my stock spec now, 4 and 6. The new adjuster screws do allow me to quietly run 4 on the intakes now.

A little bit of maintenance today; changed the oil I used for break-in of the engine and also replaced the fork oil while I was at it. Got the nerve up to do xsjohn’s cdi mod to retard the timing. It was actually easier than expected. Didn’t even have to grind the cdi’s hole slot it actually had enough to either retard or advance it a few degrees. I just cut out a flat head slot in the tamper proof screws and reused them with a little blue thread lock. Started way easier and idled like a top. Timing light right on the mark I made about 1/16” off the fire mark. Haven’t taken it down the road for a ride yet, but expect I won’t be disappointed.

Last edited:
Very jealous of your career choices + living location! we try to go to HI once or twice a year, just went in Feb and stayed 10 days in Pupukea. I tried joining USMC to fly helos many moons ago but alas, I am red-green color deficient, so no-go.

Your bike looks great too! nice work.

There was another motorcyclist / 60 pilot stationed there on the ADV forum a while back - he rides an XR650L. Looks like he has moved to Ft Lewis in WA and hasn’t posted in forever so I kinda doubt you and him ever crossed paths.

@buzzword thanks! Yeah I’m not sure if I ever crossed his path. Army Aviation is a small community though so it is possible. I only have seen two other XS650s on the island and one of them is a member on here.
Nice! One of the times we were visiting was right when the Kiowa was being retired - they were all flying around doing some kinda victory lap / last fandango thing. Pretty neat to watch.

Unrelatedly, I told him I could pretend to be a journalist to finagle a ride in a blackhawk, but I don't think it really works that way ;)

Back