1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

But mom, it followed me home!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wrenchjohns, Nov 2, 2019.

1. image.jpg and it’s ugly enough that anyone can see it needs a lot of love

Raymondo, Moabite, madmax-im and 10 others like this.
  2. Right now, the plan is to take this one all the way apart, evaluate then decide on the future. Restore vs crazy custom. This xs2 is fairly complete (more so than the xs1 when it came back). I see original charging stuff, looks like points ignition and IT HAS A STARTER! The kick start doesn't feel right when pushed by hand so that will be seen to when the engine comes down.
    john

Moabite, madmax-im, Jim and 7 others like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Congratulations John! Looks like you’ve got a lot to chew on there! I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with your new bike. I hope you start your own build thread on it, best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

GLJ, Jim, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  4. A build thread is definitely a thought rattling around my scattered brain and this may evolve into said thread.

GLJ, Jim, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  5. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Atta boy WJ - this one rates another
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    Pete

Raymondo, wrenchjohns, GLJ and 3 others like this.
  6. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

Looks like a keeper for sure. Good bones to start with. Well done.

MaxPete, wrenchjohns, GLJ and 3 others like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

seems vaguely familiar, :rolleyes:
    cool!
    that e start has it's uses.

8. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Oooooooooooo, baby! There's so much un-molested original there (besides the tank paint, which is actually kinda cool), it looks like a restoration project! If you have the time (and budget), it looks like a nut-and-bolt job. :thumbsup: Nice find!

9. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

Kool
    Another XS2 coming back to life.:cheers:

MaxPete, Jim, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  10. When I picked it up, it looked almost dead on how xs1 looked all the way down to cracked up tires. And this one has a box of goodies, a headlight bucket, and a Haynes manual(kinda handy). Today I'm planning to pull the engine out.
    john

11. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Brave you are ! Those early XS bikes are certainly a step higher on the pedestal stairs to accomplish. Very admirable.
    I’ll be watching too
    -RT
    :cool:

12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Mailman, MaxPete and GLJ like this.
  13. smking0656

smking0656 XS650 Enthusiast

Somebody was in my garage and took my bike, HAHA. It was nice to meet you John.

14. Either I'm getting old or that engine's heavier than I remember. Any chance it could be both? Hmmm
    P1000916.JPG P1000917.JPG P1000918.JPG P1000919.JPG The engine was gently placed this way for stability, the first three pix are for wire and cable routing. Good meeting you Steve.

15. DA5E2B99-9C2A-4240-A5B4-46215506F617.jpeg Today, built an unsexy engine stand.
    John

16. Today took the top end off. P1000920.JPG P1000921.JPG and it looks really pretty good. Next warmish day I plan to check for big end bearing rock and a visual inspection of the small end bearings. When the lower end is down I'll be looking for the "scrapey" feel that the kicker had.
    john

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs, 59Tebo, Moabite and 3 others like this.
  17. I'm starting to lean towards restoration but options are still open.
    john

18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Looking pretty good so far John! Hope the rest goes well ! :thumbsup:

59Tebo, wrenchjohns and gggGary like this.
  19. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

WR not much wear on what you have open so far. Good luck with the rest! JC