Butterfly plate centering

TAlber8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Any tips for centering the plate on the throttle haft of BS38's after rebuild? Thought I saw it sober but now I can't find

When I did mine, I just left the screw slightly loose and opened and closed the butterfly a few times with the spring on so it would center itself. The spring tension pulling it closed seemed to position the butterfly properly. Then I just tightened the screws and held the butterfly open to stake the ends of the screws with pliers.

I can't remember where I saw the post, but I believe that I got that tip from someone here. I think it was in a thread about replacing throttle shaft seals.

It's in the BS38 throttle shaft seals (who's done 'em who needs to) thread. Page 2, 5 posts down from gggary.

"Sketch the plate position before you start so you know where the stamped mark goes. I have doubled up the 4 sided "o-rings" from mcmaster carr seems to work well. +3 when backing out a screw either use the impact hammer or lots of down pressure then start adding twist till you feel that sweet little clink of the threads releasing. It's all about stability, the carb has to be blocked so it can't move and backing up the shaft is a real plus. If anything can wobble you will strip the slot. A low table lets you get steady weight/pressure over the end of the screwdriver while applying twist. An assistant to hold the carbs is not a bad idea. Once you have the plates back in and the screws lightly seated. Lightly snap the throttle closed a time or two, tighten and recheck, there should be very a small uniform amount of light around the plate looking through the throat. If you are a known screw head stripper, best to leave this project to others...... because you can go from bad to worse."

Back