Buy whole bike? or buy Parts?

CMCPA

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

my name is Chris, I'm from PA

I'm very new to all this, but I'm starting to plan out an xs project.

I just wanted some opinions on weather i should find a bike cheap ($200-$800)
And/ or, is it worth spending more like ( $1000-$1200) on something that looks like its in good condition?

I sort of planned on buying a frame instead of chopping the stock one up, even tho it may be cheaper, i just do think i have the resources to weld or find someone to.
I will have some help with the build. My friend owns and runs the Harley shop in our town.

Iv'e been finding parts like an Engine and cams for like ($400)
Would it be better if i just pieced it out? Or just get a whole bike and start there?

:confused:

welcome. I think it's usually cheaper in the long run to buy a complete bike to start with and sell the stuff you don't need. that probably depends on how ambitious the build is though.

Posted via Mobile

Okay great, thank you Travis

Ive been hunting around for one but i keep seeing prices closer to $800 - $1000

I'm really trying to get one around $500 or less

The 500 and less days sadly seem to be over. There are still lucky finds every so often though.

That makes sense James, I've been hunting on Craigslist for a couple weeks now and its all 700 - 800 and up.

Which is not a problem, I'm just so eager to start this project but no body seems to be getting back to me from the craigslist ads and i really don't want to buy one off ebay.

Regardless, I'm just venting haha. I'm hoping I pick one up before November

I don't mean to Hi-Jack but I found a "fully restored" xs on CL for 4600 bucks! Is it just me or is this guy crazy asking that much? I also found a very well cared for one that looked the same as far as fit and finish for 1200. Just wondering if this guy can really expect to get 4600 for this bike.

As far as your question, I would buy a whole one and piece together whatever style you're going for.

I would buy a complete bike when I can. Buying individual parts gets expensive.

And $4600 for an XS, that guy is on crack...

I've seen them sell for over $4,000 for some of the early ones. It's not crazy if they are in that nice of shape.

You can still get non running, but titled, project bikes around here for < $500

Stunt- I've seen them up around those prices too, i thought it would be worth maybe spending $1000 - $1200 on a bike that runs and i wouldn't have to mess with a lot.

Im very new to the whole mechanics thing so im in the dark with most Everything ugh haha. I need to like study up with some idiots guide to motorcycles or something haha

Travis- Im from PA and i would probably drive to some places in OH or NY state, but to far out, i mine as well just pay the extra couple hundred for a bike only 2 hours away :shrug:

Definitely. And I was talking about non-running bikes and those are always a gamble. If you can find titled and running bikes for about $1,000 in your area, I'd say for for it.

Like I said though, it all depends on how ambitious your build is. If you're going crazy.. say a custom frame, different wheels, and springer front... it's safe to say you have a pretty customized scoot and you wont' be using the stock exhaust, gas tank, bars, wiring harness, etc, and maybe not even the carbs or ignition. In that case, you'd be better off just buying a motor..

I guess it depends if you want or need a fresh motor or if a low mileage non-rebuilt one will work. Can you do the work yourself if needed? I would think you should be able to find a good (non-rebuilt) low mileage motor for less than couple hundred.

If you are going crazy with the build, maybe find a non titled, non running bike with good compression for < $400 and take the gamble on the engine. Try to find a later model donor bike with lower miles on the odometer (not that you can trust that). If it isn't in too bad of shape, you could probably sell everything except the engine, forks/trees, and whatever electronics you need and get most (if not all) of your money back.

Do those motors in that ad come with the charging system and side covers? I wonder if they are all cleaned up and pretty or just cleaned enough and rebuilt? Also, I wonder if they part the cases and check the transmission or just hope for the best. Who knows how good they are rebuilding engines.

Just trying to help.. Hope I'm not steering you in the wrong direction..

If you just need the engine, trees/forks, and few other things here and there, I'd keep looking. That one has a title. I'd look for one in better shape with no title and a lower mileage engine that looks good. I guess you really need to decide what new parts you'll be buying and go from there.

:twocents:

I've seen them sell for over $4,000 for some of the early ones. It's not crazy if they are in that nice of shape.

You can still get non running, but titled, project bikes around here for < $500

i have seen extramely customized bikes bring that, but for a restored XS 650, $4000 that is well beyond what they are worth. I like th XS, but for $4000 I would definatly go a different direction.

Back