Buy with no title

WPGxs650_brat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Winnipeg,

Stupid question (I know lol). I am looking at buying another 650 but the owner doesn't have the title. He told me he never bothered to register the bike. So I told him he needs to get the title from HIS P/O, then he can register it and sign it to me.

With all that said, does anyone know of a loop-hole with MPI to work around this? YES I DID LOOK ONLINE/GOOGLE. The answer was (except in a death) you need the title!

I can't speak to Manitoba, but did ask at an Ontario Ministry of Transport office on this issue. Was told it is possible but there are some hoops you have to jump through and a couple of different ways it can be accomplished. May involve a lawyer, and will require some legwork on your part, so price should reflect that.

With the VIN they could advise which route I would have to take. I would suggest getting the VIN and going into a licensing office and checking with them personally.

If PO won't give you the VIN , that tells you something.

I have gone the affidavit route for several bikes in Ontario and so long as your paper is correct and you get the right clerk, it is a straight forward process.
In Manitoba, your motor licence office will tell you all you have to know, if you get the right clerk. Try another office if the first try comes up blank.

3 quick questions. What year is it and does it run and ride? Is it a Special or Standard. Do you just need parts or are you looking to build this one? Without a title this is either a running parts bike or just a parts bike. The proper paperwork is sometimes worth more than the bike itself. Just sayn.:twocents:

Wisconsin has eased up on no title bikes, I have a bunch of them, 3-4??. Haven't tried the new process yet, but that time is coming. It requires paying for a title bond, round numbers in USA $100

Back