Buying '75 XS650 /w odd blinker problem

Djosh

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking at a '75 w/ 18,000 km's on the clock. The seller has put up high res photos as well as a quick video of the bike running.

http://www.liambray.info/xs650-1

http://www.liambray.info/xs650-video

The ad specifies that the carbs need tuning and 'some wiring needs a fix up' and that it kicks first time, but no electric start (something about a part needing replacing fairly regularly so he hasn't bothered).

I've given him a call and he's given me some more information before I drive the hour to have a look at the bike in person.

He's told me that when he installed the new tac etc. he spliced lines and just electrical-taped them rather than heat-shrinking them and that when he replaced the blinker's he got the wrong clicker and the voltage is wrong, so they only work at higher revs when the voltage gets up there. That's the explanation I was given anyway.

Any thoughts or anything I should be worried about?

I just want to thank you all for the incredible amount of information there is here for these bikes. The wealth of info here most definitely swayed me towards getting an XS650.

I've been pouring over this forum for weeks now after setting my heart on a '74-'77 XS650 as my first bike.

I'm a youngin' at only 23, but the old man's had classic Torana's, Camaro's and now a Pontiac so I'm no stranger to a wrench. This will be my first experience with a motorcycle though, so I'm a bit of a novice on the two-wheeled side of things. I've got all my gear and have my learner license, all I need now is the bike itself!

Cheers!

Josh

Yer gonna be a genuine electrical (and a couple other kinds) troubleshooter before she runs reliably. As long as you understand that going in.... I'm guessing it is charging poorly if at all.

The bike looks good from the pics.
A couple of observations.....
Looks like Mac headers and aftermarket Dunstall mufflers - ok
Aftermarket turn signals -ok
Slotted front brake rotor - very good
Smaller handlebars - ok
Aftermarket tach and speedo? I see the originals there - meh
And my favorite is the Lucas repro taillight! - aces! Best aftermarket for these xs's
Overall looks good.....the '75 has the best tank graphics but looks even better on the red background but ya can't have everything!
If you have the love and patience to give then you may be entering a long time relationship.
Welcome aboard!

Hi Djosh and welcome,

Those gauges come off a 76C so they have no baring on that bike and its mileage. There would have been a lot of wiring reconfiguration for any other gauges as the TX74A/XS75B Gauges, (same for both years), had quite a conglomeration for the original gauge setup.

75 Gauges should look like these, with KlmPH instead of MPH
full

If your interested in selling the gauges Pm me.

Looks like an original 76C 34mm front end has been put on the bike. Aussie twin disk set up was first introduced in 76 and your calipers are mounted on the rear of the forks.

Sounds ok, Depending on price, but it looks tidy and there has been some money well spent on some upgrades

Welcome to the forum, Josh. That's a nice '75. Looks to have some desirable mods and upgrades.
As gggGary said, prepare yourself for some electrical challenges. Get a good multimeter, master the thing, read up on all the electrical and charging threads. Here's gggGary's charging troubleshooter:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561

As a new rider, throttle your enthusiasm to ride it until you've gone through the maintenance routines, and are confident with its functions and electricals. Have a read through the forum's 'Buying Guide' thread in the Tech section...

I wouldn't worry about the blinker issue...probably needs a different flasher to get the after-market lights to work correctly.

I'd be more focused on compression, charging, and what other mods were done (Kick only- starter removed/fried/or other wiring issue?) Bike looks OK from the pics...but something's odd about the gauges he removed...I think they're from a different year maybe?

I like the drilled/dual disc brakes...Aftermarket exhaust ? (I don't recognize it, but that's ok if it works, and you like it). Did he re-jet the carbs? Is that front fender bent or is that just the pic...

Yep, you'll learn quickly on the wiring and it can be extremely frustrating...but once figured out, it's really simple, and will pay off down the road when something else needs attention (Or someone on here jumps on for help). Hopefully he didn't gut it all and splice randomly... that is what I'd be more concerned with. But again, all that can be replaced/fixed depending on the need and or budget.

Price always depends on condition, so factor in that the wiring will be a mess. You don't know, and neither does the seller or it would already have been taken care of. It's like that old line you see everywhere....just needs a little carb work.....right......rolleyes. It's a crap shoot, so as long as you know that and research a little to what it's really worth outside the owners vivid imagination, have at it.

Really appreciate the answers guys, thanks a bunch. I've read through and printed the Buyers Guide, but haven't touched too much on the electrical and charging side of things. I'll most definitely do that.

I didn't even notice that it had a 76C front end, nor did I realise how much of a hassle the electrical could be. I will be doing bits and pieces to it myself, similar to what the seller's done, so the changes don't bother me too much I'd just prefer to have the original parts in case I have a change of heart and want to make it stock as a rock years down the line.

I'll also be having a look at this XS77D tomorrow at the same time as this '75, so any insight I can get into it would be exceptional.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bondi-beach/motorcycles/xs-650-yamaha-1977/1098984171

Hi Djosh and welcome,
what they all said, looks like a nice bike but like anything that old, it's a crapshoot.
Didja get the centrestand too?
Here's how to install it.
The return spring is incredibly strong.
Hook up the return spring FIRST.
Then it's easy to pull the stand into place so the bolt holes line up.
I use the tapered point on my welder's slag chipping hammer to pull one side into alignment (Although any tapered thingie will work) then the other side can be pulled into alignment to put the first pivot bolt in. After one bolt is in the other goes in easy.

From what I've seen, Fredintoon, that's about standard. The seller of the 1975 I originally posted wants $5,000 but with the wiring issues, I shouldn't have any issue screwing him down. This 1977 is different though, the guy knows what he's sitting on and won't drop much as he's basically selling it at-cost of what it would be to import.

Because the old man's into american muscle cars and brings parts over regularly we've also looked at importing a '77. But by the time the bike's paid for with our dollar the way it is, shipped to California where the container is and then shipped here plus tax, it's going to end up costing AU$6,000 easily.

There are plenty of cafe racers and hard-tail Special's floating about Down Under for between $5,500 and $8,000 but they're quite often dreaming, in my opinion, thinking they can get that sort of money for a molested bike. They literally have to find someone that's 100% in love with everything they've done to it.

Last edited:
Hi Josh,
you may be surprised at how low a seller may go if you turn up with a trailer and show him a fistful of cash money.
FWIW, if there's Aus$1,000 or less difference between what the two bikes sellers will accept I'd go for the '77.

Fred,
Unless you understand the process the US imports have to go through with associated costs the 77D may run another thousand before it gets on the road. Then mufflers and maybe any damage to the left hand side he won't show pics for. Look at the rear indicator and he says the left cover isn't original. As for turning up with cash and expecting thousands in discount your very mistaken, the seller states its a private collection. Have my doubts about, that lean more to the fact he got some one to bring it in for him. Can be done for about a grand or so from port to port, without transport costs in the states.

That 76 front end is not a bad thing. The gauges can be bolted back on or if you want 75 gauges i could make a deal with a set i have. Thats if you went that way.

I suppose it comes down to choice and what you're vision is for the bike.

1) You want stock (or more stock) go for the '77, it looks like it's in good shape and closer to original...but reality may be different.

2) You want to customize it, then the first one's already going in a good direction...the front end isn't a bad thing, the other mods look more cafe.

Both can be made into what you want...and both bikes would still have me concerned with the compression, charging, etc... and as we all know, stock doesn't mean electrical won't be an issue...just likely more straight forward vs. learning what hack job may have been done...then getting it sorted, and then getting it to work. Old bike= lots of things to check and maintain. But worth it! :)

For me, I'd go for the bike that's in best condition, and priced right...then make it what you want.
Have fun, good luck.

Hey guys,

I've been looking at a '75 w/ 18,000 km's on the clock. The seller has put up high res photos as well as a quick video of the bike running.

http://www.liambray.info/xs650-1

http://www.liambray.info/xs650-video

Cheers!

Josh

Taking another look at this bike, i have my reservations it is a 75B at all. The tank has a 76 cap and with the front end and gauges it points to being a 76C.

The best way to tell is with the vin no.

Model and year span 2 years. 76C was made from Aug 75 to July 76..........77D was from Aug 76to July 77.............75 was from Aug 74 to July 75

1) You want stock (or more stock) go for the '77, it looks like it's in good shape and closer to original...but reality may be different.

Have fun, good luck.

May have to have an engineers report, (being a US import), before roadworthy and rego. The engineers report could run into hundreds before the other 2 on road costs + new mufflers.

I'm leaning towards the other bike being a 76C with 75 decals...............

Its all a learning curve.

Ya, I've heard it's a process to get a car/motorcycle registered and legal when imported... I don't know anything about it...but a forum member from New Zealand (on thesamba.com) had a heck of a time with his VW from Cali. Finally completed, but at significant cost.

Varies from State to State here. All these guys who import don't tell you about this, they just state it is has the imported paperwork

Hi Josh,

I bought a '73 with an import certificate and no compliance plate but with matching engine and frame number verifying it as a 73 TX650. I got extremely lucky rego ing it, I just bluffed my way through at the mechanics and the RMS. there's a clause that says you don't need a compliance plate for pre 1976 vehicles and I just ran with that. If I got a difficult clerk at the RMS? Might have needed an engineering certificate, would have sold the bike for sure.

It had no rego, wiring issues and carb tuning issues too. A few days later I realised the charging system was buggered too. I paid 4 grand.

3 months down the track and with the help of this forum I've fixed the charging system, wiring and am working on the tuning now, I'm not a big fan of these carbs.

I was in your exact position, first bike, looking around. There's two ways of looking at it as far as I'm concerned.

1) buy a bike that needs work, learn to work on it yourself, be very stressed, but feel ultimately satisfied that you know how your bike works.
2) save yourself the hassle and buy an everyday rider XS650 or an SR500 that's in mint condition and accept that you are going to have to pay 5.5 - 8 grand.

There is no right or wrong answer, both good options, but from what I can tell that 75 is going to need work and that 77 is going to be difficult and expensive to rego.

Back