delete this

ron bayless

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am supposed to be meeting the guy at 2pm to buy the bike.I dont know what year it is,it looks complete in the pictures.No title.it appears to have been in storage for 20 years.its covered in dust.Looks like a kickstart version.I am just learning about these bikes.I am so anxious to tear into it.I worked on 3 cb650s,one gs1000,3 78 goldwings.All way different than this bike.I have my own recipe for loosening up the motor.I hope it isnt seized.I have had a por15 tank treatment kit just gathering dust so now will get to use it.I will let you guys see how it goes.

Ron,
Congratulations on your find ! Here in the republik of New York State (anyways), anything before 1973 doesn't require a title. Titles are a real birch to acquire if you can't get one from the P.O. That said, check the pull-down tabs at the top of the page and you'll find articles like "Guide to Buying", "Identifying your Xs650, VIN numbers", and "Xs650 Identification/Year/VIN, Workshop manuals & other information". This info will help you figure out what you're looking at.
When I got my '75 basket case, I thought the motor was seized. It had been holding up the side of a shed for so long, uncovered, that the generator stator and rotor had corroded to the point where they had "glued" themselves together. Once freed, the engine spun fine. These motors are only slightly more complicated than a lawn mower engine, and almost always can't not run. Yup, they're that hard to kill.
So, welcome to the sight, print out some of this info to take with you when you check out the bike, good luck, and take lots of pictures to post ! We're a bunch of nosy buggers here, and love to see pictures !

Welcome. All xs650s had a kicker. Yama designed in a starter in 72, also first year of front disk break

thanks for the responses.Good info about the kicker.When the first electric start came out i rode a brand new 72.It had a sort of compression release lever on the throttle side.I rode it in southern california for an hour and a half.The salesman thought i had stolen it.I didnt even have any money to buy it.I have wanted one ever since,45 years.I rebuilt one 1000 cc 4cylinder inline dohc with 4 carbs on a suzuki so this motor should be more simple.I will explore this site.I might have to hone and rering.All compression number are low untill the motor runs a while as you know.Then what you got is what you got.many tips here like steering neck bearing and swingarm bearing replacement are good.I know the rear shocks are lousy by now.Those get pricey.

Yes. The shocks on my 71 are pretty soft, but I'll be damned if im gonna put cheap repops on that prolly don't work as good.

Hi Ron: I sure hope your deal works out and that you can post some pictures.

FWIW - I bought a set of shocks from MikesXs ($99) and they work just fine IMO. I know that some folks have had problems with some of MikesXS parts but I've had good luck with only one exception (I found that the sealing washer for the fuel tank filler cap fits too tight and tends to split). Everything else I've bought from them has been fine.

Cheers,

Pete

thanks guys.I picked it up at 4 pm.I had to be at work at 625 so i took a shower,30 minute nap, then to work.Its still in my truck.I rode my daily rider magna to work.I will get it out and take pictures tomorrow.So far what little time I have had I cant figure out what model it is.It has disc brakes on the front and rear.Apparently its not a kickstart but like some kawasakis had the option of kick or electric start.iirc most of the possible kickstart bikes were much harder to kickstart than a kick only bike.It was in neutral making it easy to push to the truck.I know the trans isnt locked up.The front brake lever is petrified.it does not move at all.Quite possibly i wont be able to remedy this and might have to get a new cylinder and reservoir.I am more interested in the motor right now.It appears nothing is missing except the small round cover on the left side of the engine.I did not have time to see what is behind that cover.For grins I tred pushing down on the kicker.Not budging.The engine might be seized.I have lots to investigate.my plan in these cases have worked at times and created parts bikes other times.
1.remove the sparkplugs.Put either transmission fluid or oil down each hole.plugs back in.wait at least 24 hours.make sure bike is in neutral.Hook my truck battery up to the bike battery cables.just the battery not the truck itself.turn the key to see if anything works.I assume there is a neutral light somewhere.
2.Gently try pushing down on the kickstart lever.If its frozen and not internally rusted to the coile spring assembly try hitting the start button.It has to be post 71 model if there is a starter button.If anything happens at all like turning over it will be great.If not find the solenoid and try the screwdriver across the posts trick.
3.If that dont work then try marvel mystery oil down the plug holes, wait another 24 hours.
4.Lastly find the crankbolt and put a ratchet and socket on it and try to manually turn the motor over.If the rings are totally seized or it appears so then count on pulling the motor and trying to dissasemble it.On a cb650 if the motor can not be turned over at all it makes removing the camchain and head impossible.I havent seen the inside of one of these motors.But getting the motor free is my first task.
Then the thousand item to do list begins.I expect this 100 dollar bike will cost me 2 grand before its done.I could just go by one already done but I already have a daily rider plus i dont learn anything like that.I will post pictures tomorrow.
Hi Ron. I see you followed me over from the GS forums ;)
I have been on the gs forum for nearly 15 years.

Hi ron and welcome,
the last $100 XS650 I bought came in a big pile of pieces and that was back when $100 would buy a lot more stuff that it will today.
We eventually got it running, too.
Compare your bike's engine & frame numbers to the ID chart in Skull's sticky to find the year and model, his bike photos are also really helpful.
If (disks both ends) it's a 1980 Special don't panic when you look under the cam covers and don't see any ignition points and mechanical spark advancer.
1980 was the first year of TCI module ignition and it's supposed to be that way.

Or it could be a 78SE or 79SF and they have points under the chrome cam covers, both these models had disk brakes front and rear...............Lots of differences between the Mag wheel disk brake 78/79 and 80 models.

Its a guess without more info and a pic will give us the answer to your question.

well, bike still in truck.too many honeydos.Out later.I found out why the bike rolls.no secondary chain, as in the one that goes to the front and rear sprocket.lets hope they were just replacing it.I hope i get lucky.So it might be in gear.fingers crossed.I havent tried the clutch lever yet.miles to go before I sleep.once the motor is out and its declared functional i will buy a new chain.I personally do not trust masterlinks.

You're only dealing with about a 50hp bike here. They came from the factory with a master link chain and most have been running around ever since with one. That's 40+ years in some cases.

hope these downloaded

Attachments

• 130-U (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 741
  • 130-U (2).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 233
  • 130-U (3).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 238
  • 130-U (4).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 242
  • 130-U (5).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 222