Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

I guess there may also be people in the US who do sommat similar?
I should have been a little more clear on that, sorry. What I meant was he could possible buy the parts from Smedspeed and have the machining done locally. To my knowledge there is nobody in the US that provides a sump spin on kit.

@Boog here is a link to the Smedspeed conversion instructions. Smedspeed does it for you. But I believe they are in the UK. You have to send them your sump plate. You can have it done in the US as well. If it were me and I were going to have someone machine my sump plate for me, Id find an extra sump plate to send off for conversion so I could just swap it once done.
Thanks for the link brother. I will look for another sump plate as I am sure shipping there and back will take longer than i want to wait.

When you need a template, I've had mine for 38 years and it's identical but for the black parts. I can always get you a photo. You've got a nice place to start.
Are you talking about the lower side covers? If so yes, I would like to see pictures. I have a buddy with a 3D printer I was thinking about asking to print a couple out for me if these prove to be hard to find.

Are you talking about the lower side covers? If so yes, I would like to see pictures. I have a buddy with a 3D printer I was thinking about asking to print a couple out for me if these prove to be hard to find.
@Boog heres the parts view and part numbers.
xssidecovers.PNG
sidecover.PNG

Your model came with a couple added safety relays. Neither are needed and I recommend you remove them both. Being so old, they're just problems waiting to happen. Your sidestand switch that fell off is part of one of them but you'll want to remove the relay it was hooked to as well. Details are here in post #55 .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-3

Refurbing your rear drum brake is pretty easy and most likely needed by now. Most haven't been serviced since they came out of the factory. See post #3 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-difficult-is-it-to-replace-the-rear-drum-brakes.25632/

Re: Filter Conversion
Why? The OE screens work fine.

If it were me, I'd move that to the back burner.

Seems to be mostly listed online as used on the 80-81 XS1100 Midnight Special.

Yes, the Midnight Special of any XS model is correct. I'm positive the XS1100 and XS850 are exact replacements.

I got home after work to pull the battery. When I removed the bike cover, there was a strong smell of fuel. I remembered that I had forgotten to shut the petcock off. When I looked at it, I see there is no OFF. Instead, the switch says Res, on, and pri.
20211026_180902.jpg

20211026_180906.jpg

Where is OFF?

After looking around, I found fuel drops from the pod filter.
20211026_180639.jpg

It took me awhile to figure out how to remove the seat once I got it unlocked.

It appears not to have been clean for a good while under here.
20211026_180403.jpg

The battery seems to be old, no date to be found.
20211026_180345.jpg

I got a new battery, perfect fit, hooked it up and the bike started right away.
20211026_184110.jpg

The headlight is quite bright now.
20211026_184435.jpg

I got home after work to pull the battery. When I removed the bike cover, there was a strong smell of fuel. I remembered that I had forgotten to shut the petcock off. When I looked at it, I see there is no OFF. Instead, the switch says Res, on, and pri.
Like Rustie says, the On position is Off with the engine shut down... no vacuum. But it does point out a problem, one or both of your float valves are leaking/weeping. Pull the dipstick and see if you smell fuel in the crankcase. There's some disagreement here on where the fuel goes on the BS34's. I contend it just runs out the back of the carbs. Some believe that (like the 38's) it'll also run down into the cylinders, past the rings and into the crankcase. Best to find out if there's fuel in there before go any distance on it.

Like Rustie says, the On position is Off with the engine shut down... no vacuum. But it does point out a problem, one or both of your float valves are leaking/weeping. Pull the dipstick and see if you smell fuel in the crankcase. There's some disagreement here on where the fuel goes on the BS34's. I contend it just runs out the back of the carbs. Some believe that (like the 38's) it'll also run down into the cylinders, past the rings and into the crankcase. Best to find out if there's fuel in there before go any distance on it.

I have replaced float valves once in 35 years because of leaking BS34 and once for a rebuild If the bike has been sitting a while it can stop
I have tossed the petcock once and refurbished it once The off position was never off because of rubber parts in the petcock.
Should that happen there are kits available.
It is easy to check just suck on the tube as if it was a milkshake straw with fuel line off ...see if it works.
Perhaps the tank gets inspected and taken off and the test performed then

Much to my surprise, I found a hidden gem tonight; a Yamaha chain and lock tucked neatly in a small cubby on the right side. The ignition keys fits too. View attachment 200528
That is cool, I’ve never seen a Yamaha security chain keyed to a bike.

Back