cable operated remote master cylinder

Mellowyellow

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, tryin to find some type of cable operated remote master cylinder I can use on my build so that I can run these inverted levers with internal cables. Any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,012
What about just a typical motorcycle rear brake master? And as you guys can see I no nothing about brakes hahaha

If you're going with duals this size should work. http://www.fabkevin.com/Remote Master.htm

You could make something like it a little cheaper by using a sport bike rear nissin type master cylinder and making the brackets and linkage to make it actuate.

You have to figure out what brakes you're using to determine the master cylinder size. Then depending on the leverage and cable pull you get form the lever, you need to figure out the leverage you need at the linkage you make to operate the master cylinder fully and get good brake feel. Notice how on fabkevin's piece you can adjust where the cable connects to the arm. For a reservoir, you could use just a piece of longer hose with a bolt zip tied into the end like some of sport bike guys do.

Attachments

• nissinrear.jpg
    nissinrear.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,037
Hey Mellowyellow, did you ever figure out what you were going to do for this?

No not yet, im had the bike on the back burner these last couple of weeks. Been a busy holiday and work been crazy.

I know what you mean about putting projects on the back burner... except mine are so neglected they aren't even on the burner anymore. :banghead:

i know what you mean travis ,ive got projects thats got projects thats got projects that have not been on the burner for year,now there catching up with me:laugh::laugh::yikes:

i just want to run the brake lever on the handlebars, how do integrate the cylinder into the brake line? where do you typically mount the cylinder on the frame? and what do you do with the sensor. i just dont like the look of the cylinder on the handlebars, i want a clean look. any ideas?

Hi Guys,

King and Hairhead beat me to it---the solution is to dig up a /7 series BMW front brake. The cable arrangement leaves the handlebars tidy, and as mentioned, the master cylinder is under the tank, out of sight and out of harm's way. Now, if anyone has a slave cylinder for a '79 R80/7-----I could *really* use it!! :banghead:

I thought snot rocket was more of a flake green. At least it looksthat way on xs650 chopper.

Yes, slash 6 +7 BMW's have the cable operated MC hidden safely away from lusting eyes under the tank.like smoke in mirrors.

Correct, and they're also known for their less-than-stellar performance. I have a '76 R90/6 with the under-the-tank MC, and one of the future mods I plan to do to that bike is convert to a handlebar-mounted MC. The bike just does not stop very well and, by all accounts I've read, it's because of the cable-driven MC.

So I'd look at going with a small MC perhaps, or maybe one with a remotely mounted reservoir like the one shown above, rather than a cable-driven one.

Back