Cafe wheel/tire combination suggestions?

Scgoobertn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So doing a cafe out of my 81 xs. So wanting to get some stuff ordered been doing some research but wanted to get some of you guys opinions. I was thinking about ordering Rim and spokes from mikesxs to give them a shot, and tires from where ever i can. I plan on doing 18 front and back.

Here is where i need some suggestions. Front and rear size h 1.85/2.15/2.5?
And other thing what are some good quality Tires that fit your suggestions. I have been looking but most sites dont seem to have tube tires as an option for search.

Thanks for suggestions.

Going to an 18" front is to get quicker steering. You would want to stay with the 100/90 tire size.

I stayed with the 19" front but lifted the rear of the bike a little with a longer shock. This also quickens the steering due to a steeper fork angle/rake. Going with the 18" front rim/tire will also change the rake but has the benefit of a lighter wheel and the seat doesn't get raised up. The smaller diameter wheel will also have the brake working a bit stronger.

The ground clearance will be lessened so watch for that or get even quicker steering with longer shocks on the back. At some point the steep rake may have the bike unstable at high speed so a fork brace and steering damper are wise.

I believe grizld1 has an 18 up front with longer shocks in back so he will be a good reference on how to proceed.

Tom

Last edited:
Back