Calendar critique

The bikes have been picked, the pictures have been taken, the calendars have been printed. I don't see what you guys expect to be done now. I don't see the catastrophe, I don't see the point in finger pointing. Are you manning the gates to "photographers hell" or what?

Scott

Lord help me..... was gonna' stay outta this one. Pick your battles and all that....
My wife has been a photographer all her life. Trained as a photojournalist in the Air Force, won lots of awards... She knows her stuff. When she looked at the calendar, her critique resembled your sons to a tee Fred. She said exactly the same. But then she added that... "for a bunch of amateur knuckle draggers that just love buildin' bikes, it's pretty damn good photography." She gets it.
If you want your Mustang to look like a Ferrari, hire a professional. If you just want your Mustang to look like a Mustang to other Mustang owners, take a shot of it and put it out there, they'll appreciate it for what it is.

Pick your battles Fred. In my opinion, you should have just let this one be.... An opinion I probably should have kept to myself, but there it is. Guess I ain't no better at picking my battles after all.:)

Lord help me..... was gonna' stay outta this one. Pick your battles and all that....
My wife has been a photographer all her life. Trained as a photojournalist in the Air Force, won lots of awards... She knows her stuff. When she looked at the calendar, her critique resembled your sons to a tee Fred. She said exactly the same. But then she added that... "for a bunch of amateur knuckle draggers that just love buildin' bikes, it's pretty damn good photography." She gets it.
If you want your Mustang to look like a Ferrari, hire a professional. If you just want your Mustang to look like a Mustang to other Mustang owners, take a shot of it and put it out there, they'll appreciate it for what it is.
Pick your battles Fred. In my opinion, you should have just let this one be.... An opinion I probably should have kept to myself, but there it is. Guess I ain't no better at picking my battles after all.:)

Hi Jim,
thanks for the post. Stand by to be reviled for daring to tell the list about your wife's opinion.

This is an opportunity to discuss some points about the calendar and maybe, some ways to make a good product better. Shawn does a great job and has basic requirements, (pic size) so he can deliver the best product.

When i was discussing my ideas with him last year he agreed with my summations on the quality of some pics and as a positive suggestion, put forward the idea of me, (or someone who wanted to), to do a photographic thread/tutorial to help get the best out of the bikes and to help those who may be in the Calendar.

Shawn dosen't just collect the pics and arrange them, he also has to chase up some of the winners to get them to resubmit substandard pics, chase up those who do not get their pics to him in the allotted time and last year he had to delay production for an extra 2 weeks because one of the calendar winners was very late and because he didn't/wouldn't take a set of new pics he just resized his pics to make them larger for Shawn's required size and that in turn made the pics have a poor resolution.

It's is not just about accepting that not all of us can take a pic, it is about showcasing your pride and joy in the best way. Not all of the bikes for the calendar are showpiece built bikes voted for due to the quality of the build, it also reflects the bike that is ridden and can be as much about the owner and the contributions that person may make to the site that gets their bike in the calendar as well, think gggGary, RG, 2m.

For those who have taken offense maybe take a step back and ask your self was the criticism aimed at you or was it more of a question of why cant we make this better than good.

One thing that may help; I suggested to Shawn that starting the 2019 thread early (now) with bikes that show calendar worthy promise would be good all around. An example. Just Braggin alittle. If nominated and seconded this would give bike owners a longer time period to get good shots taken, much easier during summer in the Northern hemisphere.

Sorry folks,
I'll keep this kind of stuff to PMs from now on. I suggest those who have opinions about every little thing, do the same, "professional" or otherwise.
Also, I don't think posting photos of family members holding large wooden clubs is appropriate.

The pic was an illustration based on your statement that "real men ride bikes and little girls have opinions"..........statement like that is kinda archaic and out of touch but if it is your opinion, who am i to say if your a little girl, it was your statement not mine..........every one on here has an opinion and voice it regularly in every thread so by your reckoning..........

upload_2018-1-14_6-46-31.png

Think I am going to have a cool Sarsaparilla, smile, process everything on this thread, and remind myself how lucky we are to have people that give so much of themselves in sometimes "thankless jobs". I am blown away by the makeup and administration of this site. I am blown away by the 2018 Calendar both makeup and content. I am ordering my calendar today.

( I am tuning up my 1932 Kodak Six 16, converted from 616 film to 120 film, shooting black and white for next year's calendar )
)upload_2018-1-14_7-3-21.png

That cooler could stand a more appropriate background for entry in the leisure accessories calendar, gorgeous girl fishing out a cold one???

I’ll cop to it, December’s depth of field is shite. As soon as I saw the print I lamented the same as the OP. Couldn’t believe I didn’t see that before sending that to Shawn. Life/work/travel were working against me in my ability to focus on better images.

The OP isn’t wrong, neither are the folks saying that misses the forest for the trees.

Haven't received my calendar yet so went back an looked at December 2018.

The Brick background works well with your bike. Highlights the bike color and especially raises the 76 Decals. There is enought real sunlight to give the bike a good reflection without contrasting with shades. The brick always makes the bike ready to ride and an illusion of movement that draws not just the eye to the eye to the bike.

Main pic looks to be out of focus, (from Proof sale link), and i can see the front wheel is near in focus the tank front bulge looks to be in the best focus. Combining the angle of the pic, focus fades from the front to back, Afternoon sun light reflected around the bike but not exactly on it. Combination of pic angle and brickwork really works. That can be said for all if them.

Sometimes a busy background works. I can't give an honest opinion on the focus but i can on the structure and what it does to enhance the bike.

Back