Caliper brake line fittings

ScooterMagoo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am going to get some custom brake lines made from Spiegler for my 75. It has the single disc up front. Does anybody know what type of fitting that is on the caliper? Thread diameter and pitch would be good to know and also the fitting type. Spiegler has a huge variety of fittings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Scooter,
don't forget that the '76 and earlier brake line ends in a short length of rigid tube so it'll fit between the fork and the caliper.
Dunno if that rigid end can be salvaged from the stock line but if you get a Spiegler line with the correct caliper fitting just on the end of the Spiegler flex line it ain't gonna fit.

Hi Scooter,
don't forget that the '76 and earlier brake line ends in a short length of rigid tube so it'll fit between the fork and the caliper.
Dunno if that rigid end can be salvaged from the stock line but if you get a Spiegler line with the correct caliper fitting just on the end of the Spiegler flex line it ain't gonna fit.
Yup. But guess what I'm gonna try? I'm going to swap fork leg side to side and rotate them 180 degrees. Being I trimmed and detabbed the other fork leg, I'm going to put the disk on the other side of the wheel. This will put the caliper in the "correct" location so I can eliminate that stupid rigid brake line.

Yup. But guess what I'm gonna try? I'm going to swap fork leg side to side and rotate them 180 degrees. Being I trimmed and detabbed the other fork leg, I'm going to put the disk on the other side of the wheel. This will put the caliper in the "correct" location so I can eliminate that stupid rigid brake line.

Always wondered why this couldn't be done, but you have a shaved lower already. Show us some pictures.

Scott

Swapping the legs was all the European model late 75 and 76 had done to them to position the caliper to the rear of the fork. They also had twin disks and there was left and right calipers. A problem for you will be to mount a speedo drive tab/mount on the fork lower as that will be on the wrong side now..................

The Stainless braided lines i have seen have the banjo bolt swivel fitting in the ends, there may be a problem mounting a plug type to the line.

Yes axle turns around with the forks

Only have to shorten the banjo bolt it the system is from a twin disk setup. The rubber brake lines are the same length on the 74/75 as they are on the 76. That would change if Braided lines were used on a rear mounted caliper compared to a front mounted caliper, all the way to the caliper
. 74TXA.jpgP1090823.jpg

Swapping the legs was all the European model late 75 and 76 had done to them to position the caliper to the rear of the fork. They also had twin disks and there was left and right calipers. A problem for you will be to mount a speedo drive tab/mount on the fork lower as that will be on the wrong side now..................

The Stainless braided lines i have seen have the banjo bolt swivel fitting in the ends, there may be a problem mounting a plug type to the line.
That won't be a problem. I eliminated the speedo drive because I have a Motogadget Motoscope Pro using a magnetic pickup. As far as fittings, Speigler has a large variety of fittings and I hope they have one that is a direct bolt in. That is why I was asking about the thread diameter and thread pitch.
Here are a few pics:
68CF3222-0EE8-4183-A902-2703542FDC7C.JPG
2B4742F5-A79F-4C4D-9A98-CAF45E2A3948.JPG
A1579873-701B-417C-A8E3-127F09701961.JPG
A1579873-701B-417C-A8E3-127F09701961.JPG
772A4C63-E952-4D57-AC04-B06526F21FCD.JPG

Yes agreed very nice build and great color coordination.

I take it the speedo wont know if the wheel is going forward or backward so it wont matter doing a straight swap over side to side

Some one will be able to help with the thread pitch............let us know if the Stainless lines work out for these calipers.

I don't understand why this isn't done more often. The fork legs can be moved to the other sides and the brake caliper can be transformed to a "trailing" caliper. The axle will work in the other direction, just check clearance at caliper. The speedo drive does not need the locating bosses on the forks if it is at a working angle and the axle is tight. The calipers can be used on either side just by moving the top two bolts, right? I don't see why a banjo connection to the caliper cannot be made by shortening a 10mm fine thread banjo bolt (used without the hard brake line).

So, starting with unshaved lowers, what is wrong with this changeover ? This can be done on the '74 and '75, right? With the caliper and rotor on the right hand side?

Scott

Last edited:
Jeez, guys. Thanks for the compliments. Much appreciated!
Yes agreed very nice build and great color coordination.

I take it the speedo wont know if the wheel is going forward or backward so it wont matter doing a straight swap over side to side

Some one will be able to help with the thread pitch............let us know if the Stainless lines work out for these calipers.
Nope. doesn't matter which direction the wheel rotates, it's just magnets tripping a reed switch. As far as fittings go, it seems that the most common thread pitch is 10mm x 1.0. The only thing I worry about with using a banjo fitting on the caliper is having the proper crush surface for the crush washers. I'll find out as I go and I will post pics along the way. I plan on having a small manifold mounted to the lower triple clamp so I can hide a banjo bolt pressure switch for brake light actuation.

If you go directly to the caliper with a banjo bolt I am very interested in how you do it and what you think of it. I would think that copper washers may be better than aluminum. Yes, that thread is 10mm x 1.0 at the caliper. Good idea about the small manifold to hide the switch.

Scott

Last edited:
The thread into the caliper is 10mm x 1.0 and the thread into the master cylinder is 10mm x 1.25. That flare nub inside the caliper could be drilled away for more usable threads inside the caliper. I really think I will be doing this. Some grinding on the brake line banjo fitting or caliper may be needed depending on the width of the banjo. Looks like a possible, strong, good sealing connection to me.

Scott

Just a heads up; with the calipers in front there isn't room to snake a "fat" ss line behind the fender, why Yomama ran that thin steel line.

I'm pretty sure you can get a stainless line with a threaded end instead of a banjo fitting. Then it would connect right to the caliper just like stock. The Speigler line is a good choice because you can rotate the ends. That won't matter for the bottom but you may need to do it on the top banjo fitting so it mates up well with the MC without putting a twist in the line.

So I messed with the front wheel today. Here is how it played out. I flip flopped the fork legs and was hoping I could swap the rotor to the other side. When I did that, the wheel offset was all out of whack and the rotor interfered with the fork leg. I ended up swapping the rotor back to it's original side and turned the wheel around. Everything work out that way. It looks great this way. It looks way better with the caliper trailing. Look at the pix:
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG

Keep us informed about your brake line choices, I have a big interest in the details right now, pictures too please.

Scott
I certainly will. One thing I forgot to note, I will have to dismount the tire and change it's rotation. It's spinning the wrong direction now. Also. if the legs haven't been shaved, the disc could be kept on the same side, but you will still have to reverse the wheel. That means the speedo drive will be on the wrong side though. Mentioned earlier, I don't have to deal with the speedo drive because I eliminated it. I will be measuring for lines this week and ordering those up ASAP. From what I can tell, the caliper has enough clearance for a banjo fitting, but the caliper is set up for a flare type fitting. I'll probably just keep the flare type fitting so I don't have to eff with the caliper, Spiegler offers that type from what I see.

Back