calling all engine guys...

First let me say hello, my name is Todd, I live in western KY. I'm new to this site and as you are all about to find out, I'm no mechanic. That being said, I know I can do this. After much searching for a xs650, I finally found one about 350 miles away. I didn't ask enough questions but figure I will have a great knowledge of this bike when I'm done. The entire top end of the engine has been disassembled. Here's my question. I can see small amounts of debris in the bottom end. Remnants of gaskets, grass, generally small soft stuff. I don't want to put this thing back together without cleaning it out but I also don't want to take any apart any further if it can be avoided. What should I do, please don't say take it to a mechanic. I'm trying to keep this budget friendly.
The first "part" I ordered was a Haynes manual.

First let me say hello, my name is Todd, I live in western KY. I'm new to this site and as you are all about to find out, I'm no mechanic. That being said, I know I can do this. After much searching for a xs650, I finally found one about 350 miles away. I didn't ask enough questions but figure I will have a great knowledge of this bike when I'm done. The entire top end of the engine has been disassembled. Here's my question. I can see small amounts of debris in the bottom end. Remnants of gaskets, grass, generally small soft stuff. I don't want to put this thing back together without cleaning it out but I also don't want to take any apart any further if it can be avoided. What should I do, please don't say take it to a mechanic. I'm trying to keep this budget friendly.

Back