Cam chain adjustment

Yes, that looks OK. You can experiment with the adjustment while the motor sits there idling if you like. Tighten it up a bit more and see if it eliminates any more of the noise. As long as the plunger still has some in-out movement, your setting isn't too tight. Make sure you check this when the motor is hot. Set cold, it may be too tight once things heat up and all the parts expand.

Yes, that looks OK. You can experiment with the adjustment while the motor sits there idling if you like. Tighten it up a bit more and see if it eliminates any more of the noise. As long as the plunger still has some in-out movement, your setting isn't too tight. Make sure you check this when the motor is hot. Set cold, it may be too tight once things heat up and all the parts expand.
Shit, 5twins himself. Thanks! It hasnt completely eliminated the noise, I need to double check my valve clearances. But failing that I'm thinking cam chain guide?

That's possible, most all of these can use a new guide if it hasn't been replaced due to the age. But also keep in mind, this is an old engine and design, and it does make some noise even in good shape. Yours is ticking a little but it doesn't sound terrible. Your idle speed does sound a bit high though.

A good way to set the cam chain tension is to tighten the adjuster until the plunger movement stops, then back it out until you get the small amount of movement necessary. This will give you the tightest adjustment (should be quietest too) without being too tight.

Thanks for the tips. I'd like to adjust the idle but this has bs34 carbs and somebody before me destroyed one of the mixer screws, probably while drilling out the plug. My plan is to rebuild the carb this winter and try and replace it then.

The mix screw doesn't affect speed so much. You can adjust the idle speed with the screw that pushes against the cable arm .....

ZpMeHnq.jpg

Although the mix screw isn't listed on the 650 carb parts diagrams, Yamaha used that same screw on many of their other models that had similar CV carbs.

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/12r-14105-00-00/-pilot-screw-set

Back