cam chain front guide

james c

XS650 Member
Reaction score
front cam chain guide shredded after running a rebuild that had been sitting 2 years o miles on it does the entire top have to come apart to replace guide ie head and cylinders or can the pistons stay in cylinders? new heaed gasket needed etc thanks james any other relivant info much appericated

I say yes, because, as sure as you don't replace the base gasket for the cylinders, Murphy's Law says it will leak.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck.

if its a new base gasket with no miles on it i mite chance it. but its not much trouble to slip the jug off and replace it. yu get a good look at the whole top of yur engine.

if yu dont have a ring compressor yu can let a buddy lower the jug down while yu compress one ring at a time with a hard wood wedge.its slow but werks

why would the front chain guide shred like that ?
Was it lined up ?

I would remove the jugs just so I could make sure that the cam chain guide is correctly installed, Right in the middle of the tunnel both top and bottom.
It can go in a little off center, or top of guide to one side and bottom to the other side.
That being said the guide can be installed without removing the jugs. Just try to get the guide installed correctly. look inside and check that the chain looks in the middle of the guide top and bottom.

I'm wondering why it shredded as well. Faulty part or faulty (crooked) install?

some pics, bet you can tell which is which...

cam guide.jpg

paint 001.JPG

CAMSHAFT-CHAIN_TENSIONER.png

paint 006.JPG

was the cam and or cam sprocket installed centered in the cylinder head?

Top is Yamaha, bottom is mikes.
Have "heard" about soft rubber on mikes' guides

Back