cam chain guide help in NJ

TDxs650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
wanted to see if anyone would be willing to help in anyway to get my cam chain guide replaced. i live near basking ridge NJ and have a 79 xs650 with 15k miles that has a terrible knocking at idle and while riding. after doing lots of research looks like the cam chain guide is worn out due to it being plastic. does anyone know any shops i would be able to take it to or want to come over and lend a helping hand, or i can take to them np. willing to pay whatever would be reasonable to replace.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Travis

A cam chain problem can make a whine, but not a knocking that I ever heard of. There are ppl from here in your area, one in particular, but I don't want to volunteer anybody. He will probably notice the topic. If you aren't willing or able to dig into it yourself, the best bet might be a replacement engine. But the knocking could be something really simple too, and not even related to the engine, so don't even want to suggest that seriously. Can you put up a video of it making the noise? If it's really bad you might not want to run it at all, though.

A knock does not describe/indicate a Cam chain guide problem..........more like, constant rattle pinging type noise that increases with speed/revs

"Little end" has to do with the end of the piston rod that connects to the piston. The big end is the other end of it that connects to the crank. He is thinking the sound might come from wear where the piston connects to the rod.

Do you have oil at the right level? Have you adjusted the tappets (valve adjusters)? It sounds like they could be out of adjustment to me. If that's all it is, you're in luck.

Back