cam chain guide

tmoe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I should have probably done this before putting the motor back in the frame, but I finally got the oil filter out of the clutch case. It's got alot of black plastic (cam chain guide/tensioner?) and a little bit of aluminum shavings.
Looks like I'll be needing to replace cam chain guide and the cam chain tensioner. What other parts would I need to complete the job? Do you have to break cam chain?:mad:
Oh yeh, it's a '79. thanks for any input.

The engine has to come back out. The head has to come off. No you do not have to break the cam chain. You can slide the cam out after you remove the bearings on the ends. You will need a head gasket, the two gasket's under the cam holder's, those 'o' rings, poss. valve cover & cam seals. I just buy the whole gasket set, as everything is in there except the cam seals. I just did my seals 3000 miles ago, so ..

Tmoe, don't forget,you'll also need the front guide, and definately the sump filter. I do suggest you flush out the engine,too. Kerosene works well. Just get oil in it as soon as you can, to prevent the engine seals from drying out. Kero does that sometime's. You have a little time, but not 2-3 weeks. Basically, you want to get as much of the particle's out that you can, & I say a sump screen because you had chunk's in the side screen, only way they can get there is through a hole in the sump screen. Very common on these machines.

Yeh, I had allready ordered a new sump filter, and also the billet honda style case filter. Just came to a screeching halt when I saw the old filter. :doh:

Don't feel so bad. I did kinda the same thing last year. Lost a valve, so teardown was inevitable. On reassembly, I noticed that the plastic piece in the front guide was loose. Being in a rush to get riding 'er again, I just cleaned up the plastic guide & installed it with silicone in the channel. Held for a while, but then started making noise's. At least I knew what the noise was, & put it off till this winter. Now I am just getting ready to replace the damn thing, & the weather has been good. BTW, I have 2 other bike's I could be riding.

- and if theyre in the side filter theyve come through the pump...in such a case it might pay to check that too as the rotors can crack in the thinnest spots and the pump inner surfaces can score

BWpQCtBGkKGrHgoH-DQEjlLlt51ZBKYdcrv.jpg

- this one is good

Often overlooked ......""valve seals""............and mabe a bit of lapping while you are there.........xsjohn

and while you have the valves out to do the valve seals and lapping, check the valve guides. If they're starting to get loose, either do them now or plan on a tear down next winter, and get all the parts ready.

cruizin the net right now rounding up parts. would like to get everything done in time for smoke out XI. I doubt I'll get it done but ya gotta set deadlines to get things done!
Thanks for the input guys, :bike:

Last edited:
Back