Cam chain help

Gator xs2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever completely tore down a XS2 motor to find upon the install of a new OEM cam chain that it’s like 1/2 link too short? Also I should mention that the tensioner is out of the cylinders. Maybe rear guide stopper still in wrong? Thanks.

I believe the early 256 motors had a different pitch chain. You positive you used the right one?

The pitch measured the same as the old one. I’m wondering if it could be that the rear guide stopper is still in wrong. If you shine a light down inside it looks like the rubber is right over top of the rear edge of the sprocket on the crank. I counted the links on a chain from CMSL and it came up 51. 74 and up had a different tensioner and a longer chain. 53 links.

Has anyone ever completely tore down a XS2 motor to find upon the install of a new OEM cam chain that it’s like 1/2 link too short? Also I should mention that the tensioner is out of the cylinders. Maybe rear guide stopper still in wrong? Thanks.
Did you figure out your cam chain problem?

I did. Well... Roland did. You have to torque the head to. Get the master link in. Thanks.

Are you sure you have the correct chain. 70-73 used a Tsubaki BF05T x 102 which has a pitch of .315" (8.00 mm. )
where later motors used a DID ( Daido brand ) 219ftss x 106 which has a pitch of .3061" or 7.774mm. ( Tsubaki BF05m )

Yeah. It was a 102 link with the correct pitch. He matched it to the old one. It was a NOS OEM chain from speedandsport.

Good info about torquing the head first before installing the timing chain (makes perfect sense). Everyone says they are VERY tight when first installed.

Pete

Last edited:
Or you can do it the way RobinC did it. Excerpt from his build thread:

Mentioned to Jim that he must have arms like Superman to wrestle that cam chain on there. I knew this was going to be the toughest part of the job.
Wasn't wrong.
Put some more pex spacers on the studs, tightened the head down somewhat. That helped a bit, still a little ways away.
Buddy then said why don't we do it the way we took it off? Good idea buddy!
We had removed the cam with the chain intact by pulling a pair of bearings off.
Did that again. Pulled the left side bearings, which dropped the cam enough to get the master link on the chain.
Slid both bearings over a #3 JIS screwdriver. Insert into cam, lift and very lightly tap bearings into place until the inner bearing was seated.
Then added a large socket to seat the outer bearing. Whew!

IMG_20180517_115659.jpg

Back