Cam chain master link won't go together

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Are these supposed to be incredibly tight to go together or do i have a dud? Did anyone drill the holes out a little to make these go together easier? I have the smaller '73 prick chain.

I did once, on a SOHC honda 500/4 i rebuilt. Barely any bigger, but i could not for the life of me get the fuckin thing on. Even with the tool, once on it peened fine. I think i even did it to a drive chain once. River link, plate would not for the life of me press on. Reamed a bit. On it went and peened fine. Obviously last resort.

Ya, this link is no longer than 9/16". I tried getting it together just to see how hard it would be before i actually get in on the cam chain. The little bastard probably would be lost in the sump by now. I'll make sure i stuff up the hole good before assembly.

I have had to push them with 2 flat plates and a 6" C-clamp before to get them swaged into the plate holes. If they still have decent drag going together it should not be a problem. They are often designed for the plate to cold work the pin on the way in, a type of cold forging, to increase fatigue properties. If it slipped on with no friction, it may have a tendecy to wear the pin over time. This is all theory, and your mileage may vary, but it's just what I was taught about roller link chain years ago.
$0.02

I wish someone would make a HY-VO chain converter kit. It would last longer than the present roller chain.

Did you completely tear your engine down or just the top end? I've used endless cam chains on the 2 engines I've torn down, but you need to split the cases for that.

I completely tore it down. It's a 73 motor so i don't think an endless cam chain is available. Maybe i'm wrong. Too late know. I already closed up the cases.

Back