Cam chain master link.

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Opinions. I really don't wanna spilt my cases to fit a solid cam chain. Mikes sells a master link and tool. I don't feel like waiting three days for the snail mail. So I call around. One guy says it's a terrible idea to run a master link in a cam chain because of heat. I don't disagree but I'm not racing this fucker either. If they sell them with a link setup, why shouldn't it work?

There is nothing wrong with using a master link on a camchain. Same story for the drive chain from the engine to the rear sprocket.
There will always be people that say don't use master links. Each person is entitled to their opinion.

There is nothing wrong with using a master link on a camchain. Same story for the drive chain from the engine to the rear sprocket.
There will always be people that say don't use master links. Each person is entitled to their opinion.
What I figured. It's not like I'm drag racing it with some kinda turbo setup. Shit. Haha! I cannot find anyone that carrys parts locally. I'm in Ohio on the Indiana line.

Yamaha built the 650 with a link in the cam chain. These motors fail, blow up, etc. but I've yet to see one do so because of that master link in the cam chain. I get my chains right from Yamaha now usually. It's a Tsubaki chain (supposedly better than the D.I.D.), is split, includes a master link, and is cheaper than Mikes.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-94500-02106-00.html

5T - I just checked and the XS650C (the 1976 Standard model) is not included in the applications list for the part.

Does it fit the '76 C-model or was there a change somewhere in there?

Pete

Yes, it will fit the '76. It will fit any 447 motor from '74 on. I see those older models list the D.I.D. chain instead, the 219FT, don't know why. Maybe because that's what Yamaha used back then. Some years list both, some only one or the other. The Tsubaki is cheaper and reportedly better (stronger). There's nothing wrong with the D.I.D., but why pay $16 more for one?

My '78 had a D.I.D. in it stock. I replaced it with the same from Mike's. But that was like 10 years ago, before I knew better, lol. Mike's prices were lower back then and I wasn't aware of the Tsubaki and that it was better.

Retired it never made sense to split the cam chain adjustor, instead of the cam chain. I agree with you been, we have been building 70hp motors and running master links.

Back