Cam Chain Questions for newbie

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

I followed my manual and was able to adjust my cam chain on 75 xs650b so that the plunger cam flush with the adjusting nut. Prior to adjusting i pulled my plugs (disconnected battery) and kicked my bike over and I could see the plunger move slightly. I adjusted the end not and now the plunger is exactly flush, however there is no more movement. The manual doesnt state there should be movement. Is it possible that its too tight now? If too tight what should I be looking out for? I left the acorn nut off and started the bike, the plunger stayed dead flush at idle and while revving.....No funny noises that I could tell.

Second question is that the acorn nut was filled with oil? Is that normal, the oil looked to be seeping from behind the big locknut which I tightened but didnt go crazy. Not a lot of oil but not sure if I should be concerned or adjust something...

Thanks!

okay so now I am paranoid that I may have over tightened. I took a youtube video of my cam chain, can you all review and tell me if thats enough slack?

Some say the chain can get tighter when the bike is hot. You might want to give it another quick check after a ride when the bike is fully warmed up.

Thanks all. I know its such a basic and very easy adjustment, but you always want to make sure you do it right, especially since all other adjustment are based on a properly tension-ed cam chain.

Thanks again and I will review after my 20 mile ride today.

Yes, it's very simple, and it should be done often, like every 1000 miles. I've made it a point to check mine every time I change the oil (about every 1000 miles).

Back