cam chain tensioner acorn nut messing up

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1977 XS650 with the cam chain tensioner that is called 'type d' in this post:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27334&highlight=cam+chain+tensioner

FYI, it is one of the units that is missing the locking nut.

The acorn cap nut screws directly onto the tensioner assembly and when I go to install or uninstall the cap nut it messes up the adjustment. How do I get around this?

Thanks,
Adam

If it was mine, I'd probably try to figure out a way to make the adjuster threading a bit more snug, like some form of thread reprofiling, or cut a groove in it to fit a jamming o-ring, or some kind of weak threadlocker...

Adam,
You don't have to remove he 6 bolts to remove the whole unit, but I would remove the acorn nut and gently unscrew the adjuster and remove it an it's plunger/spring combination. Being careful not to loose the washer that is there as well.

Then check the threads for damage where the acorn nut screws on.

Fix any damage with a tread chaser until the acorn again spins on with no resistance.

You should be good to go then.

If not, like TwoMany says, a little blue locktite on the thread portion of the adjuster that goes into the mounting, not where the acorn nut goes, replace the plunger/spring/washer/adjuster and let sit over night. This should make turning the adjuster stiffer and help to prevent it from turning when installing the acorn nut.

Next morning make you final cam chain adjustment and re-install the acorn nut.

More homework;
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36807&highlight=cam+chain+adjuster

Thanks guys.

I actually have a 'type A' tensioner assembly as well. Can I install that on my 1977? It has a lock-nut so that would be preferable to me.

If I want to swap must I exchange the hole housing (the 6 bolt thing) or can I just swap the internals? Also, I cant tell from the pick but does the 'type A' tensioner have a washer as well?

Best,
Adam

The first two types of tensioners have a sprocket wheel that fits the camchain pitch of the early models and won't match your later camchain. Retrofitting tensioner parts is new-trail blazing in frontier territory for me. It's been done, some with undesireable results.

Try an 'advanced search' using the term "tensioner" and member "5Twins" as the poster. He's posted many helpful tips/tricks/pics on these, including plunger buffer info...

Back