Cam chain tensioner intense......

Heimir Bardason

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Dear Sirs.

I have been an owner of an XS 650 E (standard) for 2 years now.
There is one thing that is puzzling me;
When I adjust the cam chain tensioner as said by owners manual and Clymer (pin should me flush with the nut) I have a lot of mecanical noise, assumingly coming from the cam chain. Now when I tighten the adjuster so the pin stands out 3-4mm the noise goes away. The manual says that adjusting the tensioner like this is wrong.......
hmmmm.......
Is my cam chain wearing out?
Any suggestions about this?

XS regards,
Heimir Bardason
Iceland.

- hæ, where are you - reykjavik? ...overtensioning the chain isnt good...when you remove the sump plate to get to the sump filter what do you find?...what gets caught in your side-filter?

mine does the same thing. So i adjust it till the noise is gone. If the pin is 3mm out and only bobs in/out about 1mm while turning the engine over and there is no noise while running i am happy.

Thanks for the response, XS friends.
Yes I am in Reykjavik,inxs. I have already removed the sump plate and it´s clean as a baby´s arse.....
I take the 19.mm plug off, start the engine and look at the end of the pin which bobs in/out around 1 mm (give or take)
I am just wondering that if I need to tighten the tensioner nearly to full position as I have done, does that not tell me that there is wear somwhere? Specially when the manual says that this is wrong?

XS regards,
Heimir Bardason
Iceland

You may be missing the copper damper washer on the adjuster assembly. That would allow the rod to come out past the screw end .....

CamChainTensioner.jpg

"I need to tighten the tensioner nearly to full position as I have done, does that not tell me that there is wear somwhere?"

yes I would say slight cam chain stretch, I would adjust for no noise and run it, if no other problems (guide failure, rings, ect.) no point in tearing it down until really needed

Thank you again boys (and girls)
5twins; Thanks for the picture!
My cam chain tensioner does not have the copper washer. I will get me one, insert it, adjust for no noise and run it as jayel points out.
My puny mind is at ease.....
Best,
Heimir Bardason.

So everything is not as it seems, CTNTX650??
The cooper washer is not pictured in the parts manual for this model.
But hell, if it cuts down on my metallic noise, what the hell....
Or you can buy an hydraulic tensioner from Germany.
Heimir Bardason

- the washer is shown and listed as a damper
- i use steffi's hydraulic tensioner and love it

i dont have that copper washer either. pin is flush with nut, only slight movement, but then, Its a new chain and guide.

so adjusting the cam chain may get rid of the slight metallic clicking sound i hear, eh? the clymer book says to "rotate the engine in a counterclockwise direction to take up slack in the front side of the chain" how does one rotate the engine in a counterclockwise direction and keep it running at the same time???

Last edited:
aww crap nevermind. :doh: i found how to do it in the back of this dumb clymer book. why'd they have to write a whole other section of this book for 1980 and later models? why not put exceptions in as they are going over it all in the front 7/8s of the book!?!? :mad:

I have now installed a plastic damper in my chain tensioner as suggested, fired her up and adjusted the tensioner to the point where it completely eliminated the rattling chain noise. Thanks for the input, friends.
Case closed.
Heimir Bardason

Am I correct in that any adjusting of the cam tenshioner is always followed by a valve setting check/adjustment?
Emphasis on 'any' and 'always'.
Kind of like the undeniable truths that you should never start a land war in Asia and never gamble with a Sicilian when death is on the line? HA!

Back