Cam Chain Tensioner washer Q

avenue

push.
Reaction score
I installed the cam chain tensioner last night on my fresh rebuild and never saw any movement in the plunger rod so I removed it for further inspection. I noticed two washers, one small and one thicker with a shoulder, between the spring and threaded adjuster. These two washers are preventing the plunger from getting past flush with the outside of the adjuster. In other words, the plunger bottoms out just before being flush, preventing any accurate adjustment/reading. Removing the thicker washer (almost a spacer) allows the rod to freely pass through the adjuster a few mm before bottoming out on the small flat washer.

Any thoughts? Did the PO add an extra spacer for some reason? I don't see it in any schematics but the adjuster was stored in a ziplock bag over the past few years (by PO) with almost every nut and bolt painstakingly chronicled for reassembly. So far, most all of it has been accurate so the thick washer is throwing me for a loop.

thanks,
avenue.

Some years had no washer there, some years a thin copper washer, some had two washers moulded together with a rubber core.
Here's a chart showing what designs were used with which year bikes.
But the plunger should come about a mm or 2 out if assembled right and the plunger pushed all the way in.
Leo

Attachments

• TensionerID.jpg
    TensionerID.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 806
Just looked a bit closer at the chart You can see a washer on type C, I think that's the copper washer, the earlier I think don't have a washer and the later uses the rubber/steel washer.
Leo

Just for kicks I went through the parts fiches. The 70-74 used the A and B tpye tensioners without a washer called a damper in the parts.
The 74 and 75 used the type C and used a damper with a 341 12232 01 00 part number and in the pic looked thin, so I think that was the copper washer. Starting in 76 they listed two dampers, the one already listed and a thicker looking one with a 2H0 12232 00 00 number. I think that's the rubber/steel washer.
So looking at that it looks like the 74-75 can use the copper and the later can use either.
What year is your tensioner?
Leo

It looks like I have a typeE adjuster. '83 model. There is a copper washer between the six bolt case cover and shouldered lock nut with the o-ring cap (as shown in the photo). The washer in question is inside the case, between the spring and inside threads of the adjuster. I installed the assembly without the thicker washer (maybe a spacer) and the plunger rod now moves in and out according to spec. I'm thinking the PO may have added an extra washer before tagging and bagging for reassembly, maybe?

I'll shoot a photo for clarification next time I'm in the workshop.

thanks for the help,
avenue.

Ys,Iknew what washer you are talking about. The one on the plunger. It is a damper to quite the tensioner. The big one on the lock nut is for sealing the nut to the housing to prevent oil leaks.
In the parts fiches the thicker damper washer is still available. Your 83 will use the 2H0 12232 00 00 part. You might get one through your local dealer.
Mike's sells a repop. It made a huge difference in my 75 with an 82 tensioner.
Leo

The thing that brought this washer into question is that it bottoms out before plunging past flush with the adjuster nut. With it bottoming out, there's no way to see if the tensioner is too tight.

I have the dampening washer sitting here on the workbench. Should I put it back in, dial in just before the plunger bottoms out and call it good? As it sits, there's a regular flat washer installed. What's missing is the thicker shouldered washer, what I'm assuming is the dampener.

I would try it with just the thinner washer on it. If it make noise then try the thicker You shouldn't need both.
Pics of just what you have would be nice.
I'll put up the pics I have of my 75 and 82 adjuster parts. In the pics the top one is the 75, the lower the 82. You can see the difference in the adjuster and the plunger. In the second pic they plunger extends out of the adjuster. I think that's with the damper on the plunger, been a long time, don't recall.
Leo

Attachments

• Cam chain tensioners 001 (575x492).jpg
    Cam chain tensioners 001 (575x492).jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Cam chain tensioners 002 (474x575).jpg
    Cam chain tensioners 002 (474x575).jpg
    286 KB · Views: 342
This is a "damper" washer and should be made of something softer than the parts it's padding. If that plain washer you have installed now is steel and the one you removed is the rubber/steel combo, I would switch them.

Even if the plunger won't come quite out to flush you can adjust it so the the plunger moves in/out 1-2 mm. This will work ok.
Leo

Leo,

my setup looks like the one you show on top. I'm going to pull the plain steel washer and install the dampening one. Turns out, under the oily mess, the thicker one is, in fact, the rubber cored double washer/dampener.

Thanks for the help,
avenue.

Back