cam guide NOT AVAILABLE anywhere?

FWIW: I got my starter gear #4 from Powersports Plus on Saturday. They were cheaper than list, $54.90, and shipping was like $9. I had to get the spring from NW Classic Cycles, it was $6 plus shipping (Yamaha's suggested retail is something like $2 but no one seemed to have it) and I bought the side cover gasket from them as well. Damn gasket was $16.95.

just got confirmation that my order from the xs650shop.de has gone through. cost was about $31 EUROS = about $40 USD. Will post back when it arrives - maybe about 1 week.

just got confirmation that my order from the xs650shop.de has gone through. cost was about $31 EUROS = about $40 USD. Will post back when it arrives - maybe about 1 week.

still waiting on my order from powersports plus. and they haven't given me the credits they said they would.

#1: they didn't ship the order at all, because the cam chain guide was backordered, even though the website showed that they had it.

#2: when I told them to ship without it (I had to figure this out 4 days later), they charged me for a restock fee for the guide

#3: I asked for USPS shipping, but the shipped fedex (more expensive)

#4: They offered credits for this stuff, but still haven't given me the credits.

they are on my sh*t list.

On the guides where the plastic part comes unglued from the alloy part, With no other wear, could you reglue the platic part back on with a good epoxy, like JB Weld?
Or make new plastic parts and glue them onto old alloy parts?
Was just checking on the JB Weld site and it will glue PVC and ABS plastics. It says it works on just about any pourous and nonpourous material. With stands temps to 500 degrees.
I'll have to get some nylon and try gluing it to aluminum.
Leo

Powersports plus emailed me a few days ago with an estimated ship date of 6/7/12 for my cam chain guide. I just got another email around noon today saying that the part was in stock and I already have a shipment tracking number. It looks like guides might be available once again....? Anybody else having luck?

Does anyone have an old guide they would be willing to donate? Before I retired our tool room did some work with moly filled Teflon for chain guides in a process oven. There might be a solution here. If you have a old guide send me a email.

None of those Guides will work. Duravar is a UHMW (or UHMW-PE) plastic and it's only rated to 180 degrees. Even the high temp version (which is not offered on that site) is only rated to 275. I heard of cyl head temps reaching 275 on hot days. I don't have a better solution though. Most premade guides are rated below 200 degrees. High temp guides are not easy to come by online. There are a few companies but there are no prices.

I have a used one with the material intact as well. Will send to anyone who wants a used one.

This is what's great about this site, building a better mousetrap, lots of people with lots of knowledge---tim

Hey guys, if the guide stoppers are still not available any time in the near future, I'm planning on reversing the shape of the aluminum cast part of it, then machining a replacement (Delrin possibly, I'll look into what plastics will do best with oil and heat as well as wear resistance) part. Then, as of now I"m thinking like 4 8-32 socket head cap screws spaced evenly over the length of the thing, I'll drill and tap the aluminum part of it. Then on the plastic replacement part, drill thru, and c-bore as deep as possible (to allow for wear with out the chain touching the heads of the screws) The only thing I don't like about it is if someone where to let it wear too far you can see the obvious problem. I'd much rather just buy one, but obviously they are not available and the plastic has completely fallen off of mine, I see this as a decent fix I can do myself. On the plus side, replacement plastic parts would be cheap, and easily replaced....Any one else have any interest in such an idea? I'd be open to this to others if any one is interested....
I'm open to ideas as well... I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I'm planning on a ride first week of june, so hopefully before then....

About cam guide sprockets, old Honda horizontal engines (Z50, CT70, etc) used idler sprockets. The new Chinese knockoff engines probably use them as well, and it wouldn't be real difficult to make a mount bracket.

A guide sprocket sounds good too, would you think only one would be needed? And it could just be rigid mounted correct?

I would say two and mount them rigidly, roughly as far apart as the ends of the stock guide. That is off the top of my head, I'd have to get my fingers in a disassembled motor to say for sure. Honda CRF70 cam chain guide sprockets:

nda_crf70_xr70_flywheel_cam_chain_tensioner_engine.jpg

EDIT: Clone engine cam tensioner sprocket, $9.00 each. Has a 10mm bore.

http://avantispowersports.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=268

Last edited:
Is the Honda chain pitch the same as the XS650?

This would be an interesting retrofit if you could get the sprockets close enough to the cam and crank to minimize deflection.

Back