Cam Opinion

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK all you metallurgical engineers out there, Any chance in rehabilitating this cam for use on my back-up rebuild engine? Don't want to waste time if its pooched and not warranted. Mikes has them for a pretty hefty price.
Thanks,
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg

An 8" steel wire wheel in a polishing motor will clean that right up. Then you will be able to see what's up with it. Chances are that it's perfectly good. You could try using a bench grinder, but the problem is that they do not have long arbors like polishing motors do, so the motor gets in the way as you are manipulating the work piece. You could also use smaller steel wire wheels in a hand held drill, but the drill needs to be capable of achieving a lot of torque at a high speed, and it will be a bit ungainly and a whole lot more work than using a bench-mounted motor.
Alternatively, you could blast it with a non-aggressive media such as soda.

Good to know ;)
I almost threw this in the steel recycle barrel.
Suppose its fine back on the shelf with the other XS engine stuff for whenever, whatever
:shootme:
View attachment 178481
Without actually inspecting it in person, that appears to be a perfectly good camshaft.
Before you store it, give it a light coat of oil. I use this:
shopping.jpg

It's basically just a sticky oil in aerosol form.

Good to know ;)
I almost threw this in the steel recycle barrel.
Suppose its fine back on the shelf with the other XS engine stuff for whenever, whatever
:shootme:
View attachment 178481
Yep, don't pitch em. The Hoos & MegaCycle cams are both regrinds of OEM cams. Hoos is just a regrind with a reduction in duration and overlap for higher compression (this is a little oversimplified) and the MegaCycle cam are over welded with hard-facing and then reground for increased lift and overall profile change. Roached cams are always good candidates for this and I think Gary at Hoos might give you a few dollars for regrind candidates.

Back