Cam out of True?

avenue

push.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finally getting my project engine back together and have concerns about the cam possibly being out of true after a professional re-phase. An email is out to the builder but I thought I'd hear what others have to say, too.

With the bearings seated and the cam centered, the sprocket looks to be slightly out of true from side to side. When the cam spins in the tunnel, I can see the sprocket waving back and forth just a hair, no more than 1mm. It does not look to be out of round, it spins freely and smoothly, it's just off kilter a bit from side to side.

Is there an acceptable amount of side to side movement that will not cause harm to many hours/dollars of engine rebuilding? And if so, should one be able to see it with the naked eye?

Thanks for your time,
avenue.

send it back. there prolly is a limit, and it may have been there befor the rephase, but if the biulder dropped it, it may have gotten bent

Got back to you via email, but in case this is faster, I'll reply here as well.

If the cam gear is not fully seated against the cam, we can reseat it for you. If you have pressed it on and off to degree it, it may not be seated. The most important part is that it is completely round (no up/down movement) but 1mm side-side is a bit too much. Some of these cams have alot of lateral runout from the factory, but that may be too much.

Hugh

Thank you.

The sprocket doesn't look to be fully seated.

Let me know what I can do to help get this project back on the road.

thanks again,
avenue patrick.

Back