Cam shaft fitting

colebrooker

XS650E US import
Reaction score
Please tell me I can do this. I have riveted on a new cam chain with the barrels off. Fitted barrels, new guide, head and got the camshaft through the chain. The problem is how to get the chain on the camshaft sprocket, and at the right point. I have given up for today and it might come easy next time I try, but should this work out ok? It seems too tight to go on easy. Tensioner not fitted yet.

Remove the cam bearings so the cam can be "lower." You should then be able to get the chain up and on the sprocket. Then put the bearings back on. Setting the tensioner is the last step. Follow the photos in the Clymer or other maintenance publication and setting the cam in the right position shouldn't be a problem.
NOTE: every now and then someone will be trying to put the incorrect cam chain on. The early and late engines have different sprockets with different tooth counts. Make sure yours is the right one for your year engine.

You may need to add spacers on the studs and lightly bolt the head down to gain some additional clearance. All those fresh, uncompressed gaskets have things sitting a bit higher.

Back