1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Can a 650 frame accept another engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by projectxs650, Jan 18, 2011.

1. projectxs650

projectxs650 XS650 Addict

Hey guys, just wondering. Is their any other engine out there that a xs650 frame can accept? I know with plenty of work you could make any engine fit. But is their anything that you could put in easily? or with mild work?

Like something more powerfull?

Thanks

2. emzdogz

emzdogz Aunty Em

heck it's not even easy to put an XS650 engine in!
    :)

3. ady66

ady66 ady66

I am sure the engine is the main appeal of the XS, which is why so many engines are borrowed for custom builds. You have a point though - for every new custom framed build with new chassis parts there's a rolling chassis looking for a new motor...

Micha7el likes this.
  4. If you can fabricate well, anything cab fit. If you can't....forget it.

Micha7el likes this.
  5. Phyberoptic

Phyberoptic XS650 Addict

I might just throw a 250 Ninja motor in this summer just to see what it feels like to rev the XS to 12K before shifting.... :)
    It'll probably grenade trying to move all that weight... Have to put the leathers and boot on.

I'll have to bungie on the radiator though..

6. jay760

jay760 XS650 Guru

gpz 500 might fit but with all the hassle, you might as well put a big bore and cam in the xs engine

7. Grinder

Grinder XS650 Guru

Anybody ever put an electric motor in a 650 frame? You can buy the kit with the motor, controller and throttle for about 1K. Can you tell I'm bored here in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin!! Go Pack!!!

8. Do you have a link for the kit .

9. Grinder

Grinder XS650 Guru

10. ReycleBill

ReycleBill Part Time Tyrannicide XS650.com Supporter

I don't know about putting another engine in an XS650 frame but I do have this mini bike with a blown engine...

11. Phyberoptic

Phyberoptic XS650 Addict

Wow, what timing... I was offered a complete R6 engine with FI, sensors, wiring harness and radiator... Hmmm. Twice the HP, but a small quad. Might be a cool swap.??
    -=PO

12. too wide, and gay powerband on inline 4's.

13. jamesgs4

jamesgs4 fuck this, let's ride!

must be gay cause it scares you to rev that high, huh?:D

14. gentlemanjim

gentlemanjim More Wrenchin than Ridin

There's a guy on CL that has a XS650 with a FJ600 engine installed and a while back there was the diesel powered XS posted here.

15. ReycleBill

ReycleBill Part Time Tyrannicide XS650.com Supporter

I'm still thinking an XS650 engine in a mini chopper frame...

16. i find all 38ft lbs of TQ at 13000 rpm extremely useful for the kind of riding i do.:laugh:

17. bradshaw106

bradshaw106 XS650 Addict

not sure why you would want to swap in another engine?? The one thing everyone is changing is the frame... different swing arms, forks , hardtails , increased bracing... and so one. I agree with what someone said earlier that the engine is the attaction. If you want a different motor I would just get a different bike...
    just my 2cents

18. What about the Kawasaki KZ750 twin motor? Good bit more HP and torque, easy to work on................

19. so buy a KZ750? why would you go to all that trouble. Thats like swapping a cb550/4 motor in an Xs when they both in 70's trim look similar.

20. I agree....it ain't too practical. But the man asked a question and I was merely pointing out what I considered to be a reasonable answer. Let's face it....many of the things we do in our builds aren't exactly paragons of practicality. Just doing something because its different or a challenge is why a lot of the folks in this Forum do what they do.