Can any machine shop split a crank and press it back together?

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
I was wondering if any machine shop would have the capability to press apart the crankshaft and rotate 3 splines and press back together. Im looking to do a rephase and as much as I want Hugh to do it for me I live all the way in California and don't want to have to ship heavy parts all over the country.

Would a local shop be able to mic it in properly and tig weld the pins and everything after it is all done?

They SHOULD, but there's no telling. I shipped mine in a large flat rate box man. Cam and crank. It was like $15.

Just ship it to Hugh; you know you wanna.

Shipping isn't too bad, at $15.00 Each way Via USPS Large Flat Rate Box...

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Yep, do it all the time :thumbsup:

Won't cost any extra shipping so long as you want it back at the same time as the crank.

:laugh: don't know why I didn't think of it being shipped with the crank... Damn Gin apparently is already kicking in :D

However, I would just do a PMA conversion while you're at it! Hugh does those as well!

hi guys ,,, i,ve learnt from my mistakes... and then it costs more,, more dramas more money and more worry,,,, no i would send it to hugh for peace of mind ,, his work is outstanding regards oldbiker

Couldnt agree more old biker. I thought I could do mine on my own but turns out the shop I had press it back together didnt do a very good job so now Im under the impression the crank is bent. Driving 3 hrs one way today to go pickup a couple engines I found then immediately pulling the crank and sending it to hugh....

I'm fortunate that one of the best is just minutes away . Trouble is Morrie is more likely to point me at the tools and tell me to do it myself .:D

Hugh I hope you understand that not having held your work in my hand I'm not a good reference . However , I would much rather have someone that has had multiple successes with this job perform it than have the local hydraulic press jockey mangle an endangered resource .

Just a side note Hugh . I have tried Cranks twisted in all manner of "offsets" over the years attempting for the most part to gain a traction advantage on the dirt . I may have equaled but never surpassed the unique characteristics of the 45 degree V-Twin . Along the way I found that the 277/83 produces the least rider perceived vibration in usable rpm , even somewhat better than a 270/90 (subjective opinion ) .
A 180 degree crank lowered the maximum usable rpm significantly limited by crank center pin failures . Yes I even "twingled" one for bullrings . I'll leave the effects of that one to your imagination .

~kop

Back