Can anyone ID these left over washers ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
well the engine rebuild is finished and as usual I have a couple of mystery washers left over which is rather worrying :confused:

To be fair I bought the engine dismantled in boxes so I have no way of knowing if they are spare parts or even parts from another project but I thought I ought to check .

Washer 1 is possibly a spare valve seat washer it looks about right but I have fitted 4x to the head for sure
Washer No2 has a slightly undersize ID to presumably fit a 20mm Dia shaft ? but must surely be a shim as it is so thin ?

Washer No1 ID 25mm OD 36mm 1.0mm thick
Washer No2 ID 20.2mm OD 34mm 0.6mm thick

Attachments

• xs650 left over washers.jpg
    xs650 left over washers.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 74
They look like clutch component washers. There is a thread on here that has washer size and install sequence.

one of them does ..the 1mm thick one but the other washer is too thin I think

I suspect that one is a spare valve seat shim and the other is the first clutch washer that sits against the input shaft bearing but I can't find my picture showing the dimensions at the moment. its backed up somewhere. :doh:

First washer may be from the clutch assembly. It may be the one that pairs up with the radial bearing between the hubs. If you replaced that bearing with the upgraded one from Mike's, you would have gotten a new washer with it so that could explain that extra one.

The second washer may be from the kick start shaft. There is sometimes one on top of all the other assembled parts on the shaft. It acts as a shim to remove excess in-out play of the shaft once the side cover is mounted. Mine was missing and the kick shaft could be moved in and out quite a bit, more than I was comfortable with. I scrounged one from an SR500.

First washer may be from the clutch assembly. It may be the one that pairs up with the radial bearing between the hubs. If you replaced that bearing with the upgraded one from Mike's, you would have gotten a new washer with it so that could explain that extra one.

The second washer may be from the kick start shaft. There is sometimes one on top of all the other assembled parts on the shaft. It acts as a shim to remove excess in-out play of the shaft once the side cover is mounted. Mine was missing and the kick shaft could be moved in and out quite a bit, more than I was comfortable with. I scrounged one from an SR500.

Ah ! :thumbsup: brilliant 5 twins the kickshaft ...never thought of that . thanks I have to remove the cover anyway so I'll check it out. Thinking about it..... any part of the aluminum crankcase that has a rotational steel component bearing on it needs a protective washer :doh:
Yes you could be right, the larger 1mm thick washer fits the kickstart shaft perfectly. The kickstart assembly does have quite a bit of float doesn't it.! mine has about 2-3mm which this washer will presumably take up nicely .

The other washer is I think small enough to be the first washer on behind the basket so maybe the op got a spare one. I noticed that someone had previously left a washer out as the basket had gouged quite deeply into the crankcase at some point in the past.

its too small to be one of the washers between the basket though.
Wish I could find my picture with all the dimensions of the clutch washers marked on it :(

Last edited:
Before removing the side cover, grasp the kick shaft and see how much you can move it in and out. If the amount seems excessive then maybe you have I.D.'ed that 2nd "mystery" washer. There is a steel insert with a flange on the back pressed into the kick shaft case hole. Many times, this kick shaft "shim" washer sticks to that back flange when you remove the cover (oil cling) then falls off later and gets lost (or not re-installed).

Before removing the side cover, grasp the kick shaft and see how much you can move it in and out. If the amount seems excessive then maybe you have I.D.'ed that 2nd "mystery" washer. There is a steel insert with a flange on the back pressed into the kick shaft case hole. Many times, this kick shaft "shim" washer sticks to that back flange when you remove the cover (oil cling) then falls off later and gets lost (or not re-installed).

yes I have about 3mm of float on the shaft so it looks like you have ID'd that washer thanks. i'll remove the cover tomorrow when its light and test fit it .. thanks for the advice .:thumbsup:

Back