Can anyone ID this shock?

If I'm right, you're a lucky man. That appears to be an old Koni. Take a look at the top alloy collar that holds the spring on. It should have "KONI" stamped into it.

That bottom preload adjuster is very reminiscent of the early '70s Konis. There is usually lots of writing stamped into the body but it's rather small and not stamped too deeply. You'll probably need to remove the spring and preload adjuster and clean the rust off to see it.

That bottom preload adjuster is very reminiscent of the early '70s Konis. There is usually lots of writing stamped into the body but it's rather small and not stamped too deeply. You'll probably need to remove the spring and preload adjuster and clean the rust off to see it.

I'd thought they looked like old Konis myself (employing my, somewhat questionable memory). Taking them apart for sandblasting/cleanup is on my, rather long, to-do list. Maybe I'll know more then. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty shure it isn't a Koni. I've always used Konis on my bikes (where made in the Netherlands :D ) and this is what they look like.

Attachments

• koni.jpg
    koni.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 84
That is the new style. He has the older style with internal dampening adjustment.

Finally got around to removing the springs and taking them for a trip to the sandblasting cabinet. They are indeed Konis! Among the things stamped into the body was - "Koni" and under it "Holland". "10 73" (build date???). "76K-1311" which is Koni model number format. There is also a rectangle with the letter "D" in the lower part of it and what appears to be the word "special" in the upper part, although I can't be sure as not all of the letters are legible. The dampening rods are free of rust, and the shock, at least feels good on the bench. 5twins, how is the dampening adjusted on these?
full
[/IMG]

How about some original instructions?

Attachments

• koni instructions.pdf
    497.3 KB · Views: 191
You'll have to do some test riding but with the not too heavy 650, you probably shouldn't need more than a step or two up from the minimum setting. It may seem like a pain to dial in but once you find the setting that works best, you never really change it.

Back