Can anyone identify this noise? Its driving me crazy.

Fleksta

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
There is a loud whistling/chirping noise coming from the right side of the motor. I've checked the choke plate screws, which were loose, but tightening them did not stop the noise.

I want to say it sounds like air, which is why my first thought was the choke plates. I had read they chirped when loose.

As the motor is revved the whistle/chirp speeds up with it.

Have you done a valve and cam chain adjustment recently?

Sounds chirpy like enricher gaskets at first, but as you move it almost sounds more like a really loose rocker or cam chain.

I checked the cam tensioner and it was spot on, adjusted the valves as well. I'll have to check to see if one loosened up.

I'll second the exhaust seals. The best tool for finding at least the general location of noises is a common automotive stethoscope. Leave the probe on for mechanical sounds, or remove it and listen through the tube for airy sounds. Good for locating vacuum and exhaust leaks, window leaks in cars, isolating which side or area of an engine is knocking, etc.

I had a noise that sounded like that. Ended up being the little cam that cycles the points open was dry. That's all I got except exhaust leak.

I had a 'chirping' noise from the r/h top of mine a few years ago.I thought it was something to do with the valves/cam
..I was absolutely convinced it was mechanical but after a lot of investigating it turned out to be a leak at the vacumn pipe pickup on the inlet rubber..!

Back