Can I strip? Yeah, you heard me...

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been addressed before but I can't seem to find it. I"m going to run the stock wiring harness but in my set-up I'm going to delete the electric starter, tachometer and pilot box (I'm on a 79 2F). Can I just strip those wires off my stock wiring harness that attach to those things and call it a day?

Dave

I'm sure this question has been addressed before but I can't seem to find it. I"m going to run the stock wiring harness but in my set-up I'm going to delete the electric starter, tachometer and pilot box (I'm on a 79 2F). Can I just strip those wires off my stock wiring harness that attach to those things and call it a day?

Dave
just double insulate the hot wires and fold back and tape all of the wires back out of the way to the loom that way you don't have to cut anything and it will be there if you want it later.
electric starter......... Red/White to the solenoid is hot
tachometer............. Brown to neutral, Blues the meterlights, Yellow to high beam is hot
pilot box .................Brown, is hot Dark Green, Chocolate, Light Green can be hot

if you want to strip them totally out of the loom get a wiring diagram and trace where they go to and what else they connect to, some are split offs to other componets you might need

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I'm a dope, but when you say things like "brown to neutral" do you mean find a place to connect the brown wire to neutral or are you just saying "it's neutral, ie: not hot, so you just need to tape it back out of the way"?

Also, and again, perhaps I'm silly here, but I imagine I can remove that hunkin starter relay, yes? Do I just pull it and tape of everything but the wire that runs to the battery?

Ok, maybe I'm a dope, but when you say things like "brown to neutral" do you mean find a place to connect the brown wire to neutral or are you just saying "it's neutral, ie: not hot, so you just need to tape it back out of the way"?
netural light, blues to meter lights, yellow to high beam light all the color wires listed are or can be hot at times, turn signals on Dark Green or Chocolate will be hot, just insulate them all and tape them back

Also, and again, perhaps I'm silly here, but I imagine I can remove that hunkin starter relay, yes? Do I just pull it and tape of everything but the wire that runs to the battery?
yes all you would need is the small red that goes up to the main switch (key)

Got it, so they may all be hot, so just double insulate all of them and tape them back to the loom, is what I believe you are saying.

Btw thank you for taking the time to answer me on this, it's the first xs build I've ever done and I'm a bit baffled when it comes to the electricals :) Getting there though (slowly lol)

Dave

Back