Can YOU rebuild Carbs??

Ksboy19

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im in a bobber project, and im gonna do my best to stick with the stock carbs just to cut down on the hastle of it all. I have bs38's i believe. I found a guy on ebay who can rebuild them for 150 and id gladly pay that, just seeing if theres anyone out there needing a little extra money who can do this for less. I need to save all i can, i would like the carbs set up for straight pipes, and pod filters. Anyone interested??? :thumbsup:

Hey bro, I could help you out if you want to send them down to Wichita. I've been cleaning a bunch of carbs lately for all of the motor rebuilds that are being done. I dissamble, ultrasonic clean, soda blast, re-ultrasonic clean, coat moving parts with a very light lube and reassemble. I have no idea what to charge, and just work on stuff in my evenings.

Damn Patches, I know how to rebuild carbs, but you make sending them to you sound quite appealing!

Well, I guess if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I have all of these bikes at my shop and I'm rebuilding three motors at a time (nights and weekends) with all new gasket kits, seals, cam chain guides, pamco's, etc. Two motors are for bikes that are being built at the shop and one I'm going to post for sale here in the forum. I have 14 xs650 motors to go through. I may loose my ass on them in the end, but who knows? I generally try to refrain from half-assing things. I like to go full ass.

Patches-- Ill tell you what, I have no idea what to pay you either. But since your in ks as well, ill pay you what you see fit. Hopefully 150 or less, shipping both ways included (payed by me). Would you replace parts needing it, and jet it to pod filters and straight pipes?? I have no idea when it comes to dual carbs, give ma a single carb and im in heaven haha. Just let me know what sounds good. I appreciate all the help and replies!

Hi, I have the same problem, I just finish my bike, install new rings and valve seals because the engine is goteando some oil in one pipe.

I have a pamco install it, I was thinking is maybe a bad sync of the pamco, but I am almost sure that the problem is the carb that some time dont inject the gas to the piston, sometimes the gas drips under the right one.

I will like some expert or some one realy know how to fix it, replace the pieces that are old or bad and fixed to me. I am from Venezuela but I can send it out...

I was thinking in buy a new carb from mikexs but I am almost broke already

Sorry for the off topic but I thing this thread was the right choice...

I can paid with paypal...

By the way, my new tank had a single output, I connect both carbs with a T connection, can this be a problem???

I might be interested in a carb cleaning too... mine are in bad shape and in need of a thorough cleaning. Keep me posted on what you will charge.
I can send them to you totally disassembled too.

Really, the biggest cost for the BS38's is the rebuild kit from Mike's that you will need two of. They are 15-21 bucks each depending on the year. Then if you are wanting to rejet it's 13 a carb for jets. Right there you are at possibly $65 in just parts. After that it's just labor, and having a ultrasonic cleaner and so day blaster; not that it is the only way to clean carbs, it's just the way I prefer to do it, and I've never had to clean a set twice.
KS Boy
In terms of jetting you will probably wsnt to go up one or two sizes on your mains and one size on your pilots. Now this is just a baseline guess. Straight pipes are the hardest things in the world to tune. Do yourself a favor and get some TPO and EPO's if you can to help get yourself a bit of back pressure.

You guys can PM me if you're interested in carb cleaning if you want and we can discuss price. I just do this stuff in my spare time, and since I'm also in the process of four custom builds for friends and myself time is tight, but I can get around to doing them quilt I'm doing other carb sets for the other motors that are being rebuilt.

Please do me a favor and do not send stuff disassembled. That is how things get lost.

XS 650 bobber- yes, you can run a t fitting. Just be sure if you have a vacuum operated petcock that you still hook up a vacuum line to it. It doesn't matter from which carb.

I would pay you 125, just to help out a fellow 650-er and cause i know you would have a faster turn around time than sending them cross country. I would send you half with the carbs and half once I got them back, If it sounds good let me know, if not we will talk more. Also, i will order what you think ill need and ship them with the carbs, im no good at carbs what so ever, so youll have to inform me on the jets i need to purchase (i think i can handle getting the rebuild kits) haha. And also, what are TPO and EPO's?? Never heard of them before? Ill definently look into them, if itll make messing around with the carb easier!

Thanks again, Patch! Hope to hear from you soon!
-Cody

Back