Can't figure out misfire!!!!!! WTF

og-loc99

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a rephrased xs650 hhb charging system pamco ignition no battery
Been fucking with this bike for 2 months and I'm ready to beat the thing with a hammer...
Running b34 mikuni carbs jetted for open pipes and air pods they are clean,it is timed correctly it only starts with the throttle won't start with choke, idles and sounds fine but won't rev up at all without falling on it's face. Backfires misfire like shit when it idles it sounds normal. Has spark in both cylinders bought a new pamco ignition did the same fucking thing I'm so fed up I wanna throw it off a cliff... bought new ignition didn't do shit, didn't rest ohms of coil or stair or regulator. Could it be a charging issue that's not giving the bike enough spark!? Please help thabks

Your carbs are not working properly. These carbs all need a rich mixture in order to start, and your choke enricher is not working .
Everyone says they have cleaned the carbs but many times they are not clean. In the bottom of the float bowls there is a very small orifice, That orifice supplies the extra fuel needed for the rich mixture. You should remove the bowls and clean out that orifice. I think your float levels are wrong as well.
Read the Carb Guide in the TECH section.

Hey OG, I'm not heavily tenured with 34's and the XS but your symptoms are close to the 6 weeks of hell Im on the other side out of now. Check your needle, if you're running 34's there's a small chance someone has put in a "Canadian Needle" or you just happen to have stock/original 34's which came from the land in the north. U.S 34's only have 1 notch/setting. Pull your slides and let us know which ur running.

5twins passed along this fantastic pic to me last evening for overview.

Attachments

• 2C88F11A-F8BB-4C57-81CD-BF30515B6E10-8545-00000AD9832D804F.jpeg
    2C88F11A-F8BB-4C57-81CD-BF30515B6E10-8545-00000AD9832D804F.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 201
Your carbs are not working properly. These carbs all need a rich mixture in order to start, and your choke enricher is not working .
Everyone says they have cleaned the carbs but many times they are not clean. In the bottom of the float bowls there is a very small orifice, That orifice supplies the extra fuel needed for the rich mixture. You should remove the bowls and clean out that orifice. I think your float levels are wrong as well.
Read the Carb Guide in the TECH section.
I ran the carbs on my xs before I got it rephased, would the rephrase change it that drastically that I'd have to set them for a different setting or should they run fine?

Hey OG, I'm not heavily tenured with 34's and the XS but your symptoms are close to the 6 weeks of hell Im on the other side out of now. Check your needle, if you're running 34's there's a small chance someone has put in a "Canadian Needle" or you just happen to have stock/original 34's which came from the land in the north. U.S 34's only have 1 notch/setting. Pull your slides and let us know which ur running.

5twins passed along this fantastic pic to me last evening for overview.
Will do as soon as I get out of work thanks for the input! I ran them on my xs before I rephrased it and it ran great for years haven't messed with them since pulled them off made sure they were clean and they say for a year until I re assembled, maybe there's some varnish I'll have to dig into them today

GggGary is pointing you to look really closely in the float bowl. You'll see a small hole in the base of the bowl and another above it on the sealing surface. If a piece of crud found its way into that tube in the body of the bowl it'll block off the pull of fuel upwards when the choke is on.

Yes and the circuit affects more than the choke, It seems to also supply fuel to other "running" cicuits. At least when those ports are blocked the carb doesn't work, "right" even after choke is no longer needed. The orifice is low in the float bowl and any crap will find it's way there. Shouldn't be any difference between a 360 and 277 motor the left and right carb circuits are separate from each other. Some pod filters block ports on the intake bell creating problems.

Yes and the circuit affects more than the choke, It seems to also supply fuel to other "running" cicuits. At least when those ports are blocked the carb doesn't work, "right" even after choke is no longer needed. The orifice is low in the float bowl and any crap will find it's way there. Shouldn't be any difference between a 360 and 277 motor the left and right carb circuits are separate from each other. Some pod filters block ports on the intake bell creating problems.
I think what your suggesting honestly could be the problem I'll let you guys know for sure later today thanks again for the input

Took carbs of cleaned them thoroughly had pods off and it looked like some vapor and moisture was shooting out the AirPod side of the carb

After it runs a few minutes, rev with the crap uptake turn it off and look in the bells back by the pods. Push the lift up and watch along the top to see if there are gas bubbles or fuel dripping down. Check if it's soaked inside the intake as well, like everything is just wet with fuel. If it is, can be floats or the needle issue we discussed in PM.

Back