Cant find the info

Ok, you have a PAMCO (mikes version) and a PMA. So what is the primary impedance of the coil? Put a multimeter (set to Ω) across the two wire spade terminals (with the wires unplugged from the coil) and see what it reads I think its 2.5-4.5 ohms neighborhood for that ignition. If you have a 5ohm coil it might have to high a primary impedance to produce useful spark. If it shows open (infinity) the coil is bad. If it shows very low impedance (<2ohm) the coil is shorted. What is the actual voltage across your battery terminals right now (multimeter set to =V)? Just because the battery will turn the engine over doesn't mean it has enough voltage or amperage to fire the ignition.

Last edited:
Try this... pull the green wire off the coil. Touch a jumper wire to the coil where the green was and touch the other end to ground. When you lift the jumper off the ground, the plugs should fire. If they do, your coils good and the iggy module (or wiring) is bad. If it doesn't fire, the coil is bad or you're not getting power to it. Process of elimination doncha' know...

Here are the two readings. I believe I’m good there. Jim thank you! Will try when I have time tonight
C9993169-2CAC-453E-B23A-0569FBB9281C.jpeg
84F94550-7C49-47D8-BF90-2603F04CDC0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the primary is good. Check the secondary... put the leads inside the plug caps. As a guess.. prolly 10-15K Ω.
Fyi... never touch both leads when checking resistance (like in your pics). It's not a factor on lower ranges like you're doing there, but it will be on higher ranges. Bad habit to get into.

Naeehh ..it can have importance if you touch the measuring point ..with the probes in different directions ...there is a battery inside the meter that drives current through the circuit ..and there can be electronics that stops current ..in one direction and not the other
on XS 650 the rectifier Diodes

But i suppose he is after your hands Touching the metal on the probe at the same time it is against the measuring point.( lower picture )
If that was a high current point say 220 V ..That voltage would hit you at the same time
You could get an instant Don King hairdo and landing on your backside with some smoke and fireworks.
And could go worse,
So besides affecting the value measured in this case it can be dangerous in other cases.
But having said that ..a quick measurement of resistance both ways ,,no finger against .. is quickly done

Naeehh ..it can have importance if you touch the measuring point ..with the probes in different directions ...there is a battery inside the meter that drives current through the circuit ..and there can be electronics that stops current ..in one direction and not the other
on XS 650 the rectifier Diodes

But i suppose he is after your hands Touching the metal on the probe at the same time it is against the measuring point.( lower picture )
If that was a high current point say 220 V ..That voltage would hit you at the same time
You could get an instant Don King hairdo and landing on your backside with some smoke and fireworks.
And could go worse,
So besides affecting the value measured in this case it can be dangerous in other cases.
But having said that ..a quick measurement of resistance both ways ,,no finger against .. is quickly done
Yes, a habit of touching leads and connections can definitely stand your hair on end if the juice is plentiful. :yikes:
Your body has electrical resistance. If the meter reads through your fingers (into your body), it will throw off the reading. Not a factor for what you were reading, but as I was pointing out... bad habits are hard to break... so don't start with bad habit stuff.

Do exactly what you were doing. Just don't touch the meter leads (the metal tips) or the coil terminals while you are doing it.

so when I test the secondary (Plug caps) as you called it . Do I stick both the red and black inside one at the same time?

is the coil all back to normal connection when I do this??????????????

Yes, don't touch the leads with your fingers, that puts you in the circuit, lol.

For the secondary check, one lead in one plug cap, the other lead in the other plug cap. You're measuring through one cap and plug wire, into and through the coil, then out the other plug wire and cap.

Didn't see a fuse box dude. Bad idea. I've been having two positive leads off the battery. One incoming from the reg/rec to charge with an inline fuse. The other going to a fuse box. A key or toggle switch in this line to kill the whole fuse box. Off the fuse box to everything. Ignition, lights, etc. Pretty much the way motorcycles have always been wired to my knowledge.

Last edited:
I’ll put fuses in line once I find my spark and I clean up the wiring. I am just looking to find spark right now
Right on. Make sure when using electronic ignitions not to lose ground. I made up alligator clip jumpers for this. Clip one end to the head and the other around the spark plug base.

Back