Cant find the info

A912DC9D-B843-4C31-A9C4-0AD150B3AD30.jpeg
One end to the head. The bigger clip on the plug. Give her a kick with the ignition on.

So I do this and then touch the plug to bare metal like normal and should spark? And what does that tell me if it does..or doesn't? Thank you!

So I do this and then touch the plug to bare metal like normal and should spark? And what does that tell me if it does..or doesn't? Thank you!
Using a piece of wire with gator clips negates the need to hold the plug to the head and ensures a good ground. It basically removes the fallible human hand from the equation. If the plug sparks than your getting spark and your non-starting issues lay elsewhere. I recommend doing this with your lights (in the garage) off, sometimes the spark is hard to see in a well lit space especially while you're stomping on a kicker lever.

gotcha. will try tonight.

So, if my coil has correct power. rotor has power. Reg/Rec has power. Grounds checked out. Ohms from the coil and coil/plug wires checked out.

Still no spark. What could I move onto checking with next?

gotcha. will try tonight.

So, if my coil has correct power. rotor has power. Reg/Rec has power. Grounds checked out. Ohms from the coil and coil/plug wires checked out.

Still no spark. What could I move onto checking with next?
Did you ground and un-ground the coil to check for spark as I suggested?

I’ve popped a transistor in a Pamco before. Let me go back and see what ignition you have....Don’t know that ignition. It coulda been fried tho. Least you bought it as a kit and know the coils are the right resistance.

Did you ground and un-ground the coil to check for spark as I suggested?
Hey Jim. I just tried this and when I pull the ground off. No spark but the ground obviously is sparking because there’s power to the coil. So what’s that mean. That process didn’t really make sense to me cause I disconnected the green from the coil. So how is that supposed to tell me ? Do I have to like kick the bike and pull the ground at the exact same time ?

Tried my best to take a photo and explain. So here is my coil.

the red has power . Green has power. The ground in the middle has been moved and it didn’t make a difference.

the large red wire from the coils runs to the brown wire coming out of my ignition key switch. From the ignition key switch red wire, that leads back to my battery while powering my reg/rec as well.

I had the REG / REC on the other side of the key switch I just was seeing if I could change anything and find spark.

the reg rec is attached to a ground (green wire) and the 3 yellow to the pma or rotor or whatever

my lights are in there also from the blue out of my ignition key. They work fine with the key switch on off

thanks guys!!!!

It's a dual coil, so make sure both plugs are grounded....
When you ground the lead on the coil (the one the green wire was on), the battery charges the primary winding inside the coil. When you un-ground it, the secondary windings discharge across the plugs.... Spark.
That how you did it?

Do I need to be rotating the engine ? Still doesn’t really make sense to me!

Both spark plugs are grounded . One is in its hole and one is plugged to the wired touching the engine. No spark from the plugs . Spark touching the ground on and off .

So my coil that has power is bad all of a sudden? How do they go bad it worked fine before. But I guess shit happens.

thanks!!

Do I need to be rotating the engine ? Still doesn’t really make sense to me!
No, all you are doing is charging the coil and seeing if it will discharge across the plugs.

You have 2 terminals on the coil. One should have power going to it on the red wire. Good?

You want to disconnect the other wire on the coil... the green one. Is it disconnected?

Now, find a piece of wire to use as a jumper. Touch one end of that to the terminal on the coil... the one you removed the green wire from. Touch the other end to ground... any bare metal on the frame.

Now, remove the wire from the frame. When you do, the plugs should spark. Do they?

The test you just did is a coil test. If you have power to the coil, but no spark with the test I just had you do, it means either the coil, plug wires or plugs are bad. If it were me, I'd change the plugs and retest.
If you still get no spark, replace the plug wires and retest
If you still get no spark, the coil is bad.

Oh shit . Never mind I got it. There is a small spark! Just got it.

so what does that eliminate next ?
Check for 12V at the ignition module on the red wire. 12volts?
Ohm the green wire between the coil and the iggy module. 0 ohms?
Ohm the black ground wire at the module. 0 ohms?

Back