cant get my brakes to bleed

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
I cannot get my brakes to bleed no matter what I do. I've taken the diaphragm off the master cylinder, cleared the hole, made sure the piston was free. I got great movement from the piston and it seems to be working just fine. I took off all the hoses going to the caliper, and cleaned them and the banjo fittings. Still can't get anything through. When I have the hose off the MC and pump the lever, I'm only getting little spurts of fluid, hardly anything at all. I don't know what else it could be. My next step is a vacuum, but don't really want to go that route just yet. Can anybody please help?

It could be the inside of hose is deteriorating and blocking the lines?
I know some have reported the brakes not releasing and traced it back this problem.
Could be you will have to break it at every junction to find where you are losing volume.

i did that right be for posting this. the brakes were working awesome about two weeks ago be for i took the wheel off for powder coating and when i was putting it back on i did all the necessary steps in putting it back together right and making sure everything was clean because we all know that the brakes are one area to make extra sure are working well and now i cant get pressure and missed about a week of good riding

If you had the system apart most likely the mastercylinder bore is empty,It takes forever for it to fill through the tiny hole that feeds it,Take the hose off the master and fill the bore with fluid,You can drain the resevoir,take master off handlebars and fill bore,put the line back on and remount and fill master,should bleed then

If you can get a vacuum bleed set up it makes it fast and easy. I usually fill the master and leave the bleeder open overnight with a hose into a jar. It slowly fills the line and then the bleed goes as normal. It would probably only need a few hours to bleed through but i always have something else to work on while it finds its way.

thanks guys ill try it and let yas know how it goes. i cant believe something that is so easy to do on my truck is a bitch on my bike but the xs are know to talk back but its still my baby.

I found it useful to have a clear hose on the bleeder screw. Squeeze the lever slowly or quickly, whichever makes the most bubbles or foam in the hose. Tighten the bleeder back while holding the lever in each time. I can get my brakes to go from dry to no bubbles in about 20 min to half an hour.

You can try taking the line off the master cylinder covering the hole with your finger. Pull the lever. As pressure builds up it will push past your fimger. When you release the lever a vaccum will form between yoyr finger and pull fluid into the m/c. repeat till you get fluid squirting out past your finger. If yo have the m/c off the bike you won't get fulid all over the bike.
Put thye m/c on the bike hook the hose on and try bleeding. It should now.

Sometimes the problem can be air bubbles. If the line is higher in elevation than your resevoir, the air will go to the highest point and simply hide and "compress". If this is the case then try tying the line down below the master cyl. Hope this is an easy fix for you.

You did not say you have pulled the piston/ seals out of the master cylinder or the caliper, did I miss something? Do that, report back on what you find. A completely clean system properly assembled always bleeds easy and works.

i filled the MC bore pumped the leaver. it took a few times but i got it to bleed.pressure is back "not fully" but its flowing free and alot better then it was. tomorrow im going to fill the MC back up and pump a couple times and i think if all goes well i should have full pressure.

Back