Can't shift into gear.

Prisondawg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought a 78 xs650. I got a new battery, changed the spark plugs got new oil and new oil filter, new fuel lines. It started right up! However when trying to shift into gear it just grinds. It might be worth noting that when I changed the oil there were what appears to a couple metal pins on the magnet. I can only assume that they were bearing rollers. I'm not too savy when it comes to motorcycle engines , but hopefully I can change that soon. Any suggestions on where to start to get this thing rolling ?

I just bought a 78 xs650. I got a new battery, changed the spark plugs got new oil and new oil filter, new fuel lines. It started right up! However when trying to shift into gear it just grinds. It might be worth noting that when I changed the oil there were what appears to a couple metal pins on the magnet. I can only assume that they were bearing rollers. I'm not too savy when it comes to motorcycle engines , but hopefully I can change that soon. Any suggestions on where to start to get this thing rolling ?

Hi 'dawg and welcome,
like angus said, photos & measurements of the debris stuck to the drain plug magnets are just about essential for a diagnosis.
Hopefully those parts can be re-installed without pulling the engine but FWIW, that ain't likely.

Shift star come adrift? Broken shift spring or the detent stop rivet broke, both happen, and are easy fixes. Open RH side cover to looky see. Sounds like you may have found the reason it was a cheap, back of the garage bike LOL.

Back