1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't shift into gear.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Prisondawg, May 20, 2018.

1. Prisondawg

Prisondawg XS650 Enthusiast

I just bought a 78 xs650. I got a new battery, changed the spark plugs got new oil and new oil filter, new fuel lines. It started right up! However when trying to shift into gear it just grinds. It might be worth noting that when I changed the oil there were what appears to a couple metal pins on the magnet. I can only assume that they were bearing rollers. I'm not too savy when it comes to motorcycle engines , but hopefully I can change that soon. Any suggestions on where to start to get this thing rolling ?

2. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

Could have been the pins on the shift arm. Pic of them? How big around?

3. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi 'dawg and welcome,
    like angus said, photos & measurements of the debris stuck to the drain plug magnets are just about essential for a diagnosis.
    Hopefully those parts can be re-installed without pulling the engine but FWIW, that ain't likely.

4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Engine off; try shifting and check by rolling fore and aft to see if it went in gear. could be a stuck clutch, common after long periods of sitting and usually easy to unstick.

TwoManyXS1Bs and weekendrider like this.
  5. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Shift star come adrift? Broken shift spring or the detent stop rivet broke, both happen, and are easy fixes. Open RH side cover to looky see. Sounds like you may have found the reason it was a cheap, back of the garage bike LOL.