Canuck introduction

lowerc

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
Just wanted to do a little intro since I'm new here. Got the idea to build a bike so I started lurking around a few places. I decided on an XS and picked up an '81 basket case for cheap a few weeks ago. This will be a winter project so I haven't started much with it but the PO did a good job at tearing shit up so this will probably be a long slow process.

So, I currently live in Ottawa Ontario if any locals want to give a shout out.

previous bikes include an MX80 when I was a wee lad and then a couple crotch rockets. '87 GSXR1100
'89 GSXR750

And I know
worthless.gif

so here is my pile of junk before I get started.
20130811_193521_zpsdc7aa0ef.jpg

On order already I have an Ardcore hardtail and a cole foster tank. Debating between clip ons or drag bars. Probably going to rock the mag wheels, need new tires. All wiring needs to be done etc, etc. Once I get working I'll probably start a build thread.

Last edited:
Welcome from Cambridge, Ontario! Does it run?

I'm on the final stages of my chopper build. Just got the parts back from the paint shop. Final assembly going on this week!

Cheers,

Doug

No, it doesn't currently run. I'm told it was running before the PO started tearing it down. Don't really believe him though. He tore out the entire wiring harness. Also when I picked it up I missed a few parts. E-mailed PO and he says he found them I just need to go get them now. TCI unit is one thing so I can't even try to get it running yet.

Good luck with the remainder of your build

Mine hadn't run in 3 years when I got it. Turns out the coil wires had worn and shorted (no spark). The PO also decided it must be a timing issue so cranked the cam chain ridiculously tight :wtf: The entire engine, carbs were also spray painted with silver spray paint (no prep or primer involved). What a mess!

I did a top end rebuild and wired from scratch. Rebuilt & cleaned the carbs, new coil - and it runs!

I need to put my own build thread on here too - too busy working & building though :D

Welcome to the world.

Is the bike a Canadian or a US import.

Trying to confirm id's from different countries for an ID chart i am working on. Could you post your bike, frame and engine no's.

Cheers

Welcome to the world.

Is the bike a Canadian or a US import.

Trying to confirm id's from different countries for an ID chart i am working on. Could you post your bike, frame and engine no's.

Cheers

It is a Canadian bike and I know the numbers are matching. I'll have to have a look and get back to you.

Welcome, see ya on the 417!!

My wife is a big fan of Montreal. We visit now and then.

Welcome from a Hamiltonian.....
Let me know if your ever passin through

Heading to Ingersoll this weekend. Not really through Hamilton but blasting by.

Welcome ya crazy canuck! looks like a good start. Go sens!

Sens, HA! They're shit but I like rooting for the underdog.

Heading to Ingersoll this weekend. Not really through Hamilton but blasting by.
You'll be driving 2 minutes from my house on the 401. If you exit at Townline Road (first Cambridge exit #286) you're in my neighbourhood. I'll be in the garage all weekend doing the final assembly on the chopper - stop in for visit if you like. Beer's always cold, door's always open. PM me through here if you want my contact info. I always like to make new friends in the motorcycling community ;-)

Back