Capacitor, how old is too old?

ronstern

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have the same points and capacitor from the last time I changed them around the mid 80's and was wondering just how long can I use the same electronics without replacement. The bike is a 77' that I had since new and I'm just about finished with the restoration except for the Pamco. I really don't want to buy new capacitors and points because I plan on making the switch before spring ...but I'm anxious to hear her run again. For that matter, why are capacitors sooo expensive now? I remember I used to replace those things every time I did a tune up - they were so cheap. Can any automotive capacitor do the same thing? The ones I have all look good and clean to me including the points, what's the best way to test them? What about the coils?

If the points and condenser are from 1977.....................yes its time to replace. However, if you just want to run the bike for a few months, then use them, until you get a Pamco.

Capacitors can last a very, very, very long time as long as they are kept clean and dry...I only change mine when they are really suspect...never changed the ones in my old '75 XS650 and some of my 40's and 50's bikes are still running the originals.
In my experience almost any ignition capacitor will work on almost any points ignition...British replacements work very well, as do Cyclecraft coils.
Speaking of coils, the stock coils are on these bikes are worse than the back syphilis; perhaps just about the only weak point on these bikes. I recommend replacing them at the first opportunity...I did and although it was never very hard to start in the first place, it made the starting dramatically better.

Back