Carb advice/suggestion

uncle meat

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 75 XS650B with bs38 carbs. I bought some new mufflers that didn't quite fit right due to the short head pipes. Purchased some head pipes from a fellow member here, from a 79 special, as they are longer and would accommodate the mufflers. I noticed after installation that the idle would hang after the engine got warm (this was my maiden voyage). I was close to a buddies house that is a retired MC mechanic so I rolled in his driveway to see if I could adjust the mix screws. I couldn't get it quite right so he took over. He got it to idle ok, but told me the mix screws were almost all the way in, left side a 1/4 turn out, the right side 1/2 turn out. He recommend that I go through the carbs and find out what size the pilot jet is.
Pulled the carbs and found the pilot jet is a 42.5, main jet is 130, needle is labeled Y22, clip at position 3. After going through the chart posted in another thread, I noticed the jet sizes I have are for 1970-73.
I'm guessing the PO purchased a kit from Mikes XS:
https://www.mikesxs.net/carb-rebuild-kit-tx650a-xs650b-74-75.html
These aren't the correct sizes according to the chart.
My question is, should I just order the larger pilot jets and see how it goes from there? Or order all the right sizes for my carbs?

Thanks, UM

Back