Carb boot fitting problem!!!

Airwolfie

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
How de HELL do you fit these to the carbs??!??!?!??!??!

I have been trying for the last HOUR to get ONE to fit, it's like it's too small!!!

Tried to smear a bit of oil on them, but that didn't help either!!!

PLEASE someone Help me!! I'm gonna throw my toys out my pram in a minute!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Airwolfie, not sure which carbs/intakes you are working with but maybe this will help.
First I completely undo the clamps to allow space for the intake ring to expand over carb.
Second I don't try to push them straight in.
I start the bottom or the top first and "rock" them up and down checking to make sure the lip of intake isn't folding back in or hung up.
Good luck.

Thanks weekendrider. I have the 34's.

I have tried that, but it just doesn't want to budge. I'll have another go in a minute.

Just don't push it so hard it comes it comes off the center stand.
That gets to be a handful pretty quick or least it was for me.
You might try pre warming them with a hair dryer?

Its actually a good thing that they are a tight fit. You need to use a generous amount of lubrication. I use dielectric grease which is slippery and very good for any rubber.

I'm still using the OEM manifolds, because they are an interference fit. My carbs are 1.840" and the OEM boots are 1.795". So you can see I have 0.045" that the rubber boots must stretch to fit over the carbs. That ensures that you get an air tight connection.

I tried using Mikexs.com boots a few years ago. They were crap because they were a loose fit. The rubber boots were 0.026" larger than the carbs. Even with excessive clamping, they would allow air to be sucked in and cause lean conditions.

Be happy you have a tight fit:thumbsup:

I put the bottom edge in first then push more on the top edge and they pop right in.

I do what they're doing including plenty of grease.

You might try just putting one in, say the left carb in the right holder, to convince yourself that it will go in. And it has to go in far enough that it pops into the ring around the carb throat if you didn't notice that.

Back